Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Server 2 - guest machine deleted:-(

Good evening dear forum members!
    I am running a win7 vmware server 2 host machine with sbs2011 guest vm.
    Unfortunately, I deleted/remove (using GUI) the sbs2011 guest machine (without deleting underlying files?.
    In the meantime, I have recreated the guest machine and attached the vm files accordingly; the system is running again but many changes + exchange mailboxes are lost are missing data still somewhere in the memory since I didnt make a snapshot?
    I would be very grateful for every assistance

Re: VMware Server 2 - guest machine deleted

no.
    if there's no snapshot, and no backup position to recover from, you have lost that data.

you could try data recovery, but since you've been reading and writing all over the physical volume, i wouldn't waste your time.

this is just a replica or test environment though, right?
    You aren't really running production infrastructure, on a Windows7_VMWareServer host, with no backups ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

This took place yesterdsy evening and there has been reading, but not writing on the physical volume. As previously mention, I only remove the guest machine but did not activate the checkbox which says remove files associated with vm

Comment

Thanks for your previous reply! Is it possible to commit transactions in memory?

Comment

Did you delete it or remove it? Those are two separate actions.

If you deleted the VM from disk, then it's gone for all intents and purposes (you could look into expensive data recovery solutions, but I have no idea if it'd work).

However, if you just removed it from inventory, then it's still sitting in its datastore. Just go to the summary tab of your cluster, right-click the datastore in the "Storage" section and select "Browse datastore". If your VM was just removed, you'll see a folder for it in the left pane. Highlight the folder, right-click the VMX file in that folder and select "Add to Inventory".

Comment

Originally posted by Purplefoot View Post
            Thanks for your previous reply! Is it possible to commit transactions in memory?
            no.
            the guest stores it's memory in a vswp file.
            IF There was a vswp file, and IF the guest could import it when you restarted it, then it shoul dhave all been ok.

the fact that it didn't means it's either not possible, or there was no vswp file.

I suspect the guest just wrote a new vswp file.

It's time to haul out your backups and recover the missing data.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
            X