Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubuntu 13.10 and VMware Tools

Hi

I tried to install the VMware Tools on the Lubuntu 13.10 32 bit VM created with Workstation 10.x for Windows.

I have noticed that, starting from the file VMwareTools-xxx-yyyy.tar.gz, to install and configure the VMware Tools without errors, the build-essential package must be installed since it also installs the gcc compiler.

Now, leaving all the default answers during the process of configuration of these tools, when I reboot my virtual machine, its screen will not automatically enlarges even after having logged. How come?

Also, I noticed that if, after the Login, I run the sudo su -c /usr/bin/vmware-user command, the screen enlarges, but when I reboot the VM, the screen will not automatically enlarges. How come?

Thanks

Bye
    balubeto

Re: Lubuntu 13.10 and VMware Tools

It sounds like the vmware-tools service isn't starting

did you do "make install" ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
      It sounds like the vmware-tools service isn't starting

did you do "make install" ?
      I followed these instructions:

sudo apt-get install build-essential
      cd /tmp
      tar -zxpf "/media/<Username>/VMware Tools/VMwareTools-<product version number>-<product release>.tar.gz"
      cd vmware-tools-distrib
      sudo su -c ./vmware-install.pl
      sudo su -c /usr/bin/vmware-user
      cd ..
      rm -fr vmware-tools-distrib
      So, how do I automatically start the VMware Tools service when the Lubuntu is started?

Thanks

Bye
      Last edited by balubeto; 20th February 2014, 10:28.
      balubeto

Comment

I have found that in the /etc/xdg/autostart directory there is the VMware User Agent executable. Why it does not automatically start?

Thanks

Bye
        Last edited by balubeto; 20th February 2014, 18:48.
        balubeto

Comment

So, in the /etc/xdg/autostart, there is an icon called VMware User Agent in which content is:
          [Desktop Entry]
          Type=Application
          Encoding=UTF-8
          Exec=/usr/bin/vmware-user
          Name=VMware User Agent
          # KDE bug 190522: KDE does not autostart items with NoDisplay=tru...
          # NoDisplay=true
          X-KDE-autostart-phase=1
          Now, how do I make sure that this file is run during the system startup so that it applies to all users?
          Thanks
          Bye
          balubeto

Comment

the vmware-install shoul dhave setup the runtime execs
            /etc/xdg/autostart seems to be related to Desktop based services.

You may actually need it fired up from /etc/rc.d or /etc/init.d or whatever it currently is dependent on your OS flavour

also, check the "services" preferences application in X Windows - it should tell you what services are installed/started.

Just to confirm - if ytou manually run the binary, it works, right ?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

To make sure that VMware User Agent is run after the login of an user, go to Menu ---> Preferences ---> Default applications for LXsession ---> Autostart and, in the Settings section, select "no" as answer to the question "Disable autostarted applications?".

The trouble is that this procedure is necessary to do it for each user since the value of the "Disable autostarted applications?" parameter is not global. Is there a way to make sure that this parameter is global?

I also noticed that, during the Login screen, the VMware User Agent is not active. Is there a way to turn it on even at this stage?

Thanks

Bye
              Last edited by balubeto; 22nd February 2014, 19:59.
              balubeto

Comment

From what I understand, the /etc/xdg/lxsessionsLubuntu/autostart directory contains the list of all programs that are launched for all users. Right? If so, I wrote the /usr/bin/vmware-user command in this file. After that, I restarted the computer but I have seen that this command is not executed. How come?

However, if I run this command from a terminal window, it is executed.

Thanks

Bye
                Last edited by balubeto; 23rd February 2014, 19:59.
                balubeto

Comment

Working...
                X