Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guests aren't sharing vswitch. Only 1 Lan connection per guest.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guests aren't sharing vswitch. Only 1 Lan connection per guest.

Hello all,

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I've been searching everywhere, but I'm still stuck.

I'm using VMware ESXI 5.5, the free version.

I've got it setup, and there is a default virtual switch 0 that I've connected to an external (real) switch via the network card (port 0).

There are 4 network ports.

If I enable 4 of them, I can connect 3 machines to my regular LAN.

The guests can ping each other, just not the LAN. If I setup more ports then some can ping the LAN, but not all of them.

I don't want to use VLAN or NAT. I thought the vswitch would handle this since I'm trying to use the same subnet.

In other words it seems the virtual switch isn't working and each VM is using a port.

I see a place to setup direct passthrough and how that allows one machine per port, but it's not setup to do that.

I've tried resetting the settings, then a complete reinstall. Still no luck.

Shouldn't the vswitch allow me to connect a dozen machines or more?
    Last edited by ShawnF; 6th February 2014, 14:48.

Re: Guests aren't sharing vswitch. Only 1 Lan connection per guest.

I fixed this by creating a second vswitch, then setting all the virtual machines to the second vswitch.

I put 2 NICS on the switch with the management server switch, and 2 on the vm server switch, and everything started working.

Comment

Re: Guests aren't sharing vswitch. Only 1 Lan connection per guest.

absolutely should be able to put multiple devices on a single vswitch
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
      X