Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice with hardware for VMs.

Hello,
    I would like to know if a dual socket with two Intel Xeon E5-2630 v2 2.60Ghz or two Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2 2.10Ghz would be able to run 60+ Virtual Machines simultaneously. In all the other builds the CPU is maxed first so probably the number of cores is the most important factor here. Im trying to find the most cost-effective build, any suggestion is welcome.

This VMs will have Win7 installed and will be playing a game. Each VM needs 1 GB RAM, 3-4 GB of disk space and you need 1GB GPU per 15 VMs.

Other tested setups:

This runs 18 VMs:
    8350 FX AMD
    32GB RAM
    650 GTX 2GB
    SSD 250 Samsung evo

This runs 30-36 VMs:
    i7-4930k
    64GB RAM (45 is enough)
    SabertoothX79
    SSD 250 Samsung evo
    GTX 660 3GB

This runs 48 VMs:
    Xeon e5-2689
    Asus Z9PA-U8
    64 GB DDR3 ECC Kingston
    Seagate Pro 250GB
    HD 7950
    Seagate gold 750 W

The game installed in the VMs minimum requirements:
    CPU Speed: 2 GHz processor
    RAM: 1 GB RAM (Windows Vista and 7 users will want 2 GB of RAM or more)
    Video Card: DirectX 9.0 capable video card support Shader 2.0
    Free Disk Space: 8 GB

Thanks.

Re: Need advice with hardware for VMs.

If you're looking at 60 vm's then i would guess you would need approximately 15 cores so you should look for a 8 core CPU.

I've always went with being able to run 4 single core VM's on a core so 4 * 8 (Cores) * 2 (HT) should give you approximately 64 VM's.

Comment

Re: Need advice with hardware for VMs.

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      If you're looking at 60 vm's then i would guess you would need approximately 15 cores so you should look for a 8 core CPU.

I've always went with being able to run 4 single core VM's on a core so 4 * 8 (Cores) * 2 (HT) should give you approximately 64 VM's.
      Hi, thanks for your answer, the max ratio is more or less 3:1. I got a 10 core 2670V2, that should be enough.

Comment

Working...
      X