Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup HA ESXi

Hi All,
    I am planning to setup HA in ESXi. Can anyone provide me with any list of hardware i will require and some guidance please? Any help is highly appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Setup HA ESXi

Have you reviewed the VMware HCL?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by salim71 View Post
      Hi All,
      I am planning to setup HA in ESXi. Can anyone provide me with any list of hardware i will require and some guidance please? Any help is highly appreciated.
      Thanks
      I recommend looking at VMware's docs. This checklist document may be particularly helpful. Most notably it states "virtual machines must be located on shared, not local, storage otherwise they cannot be failed over in the case of a host failure."

The shared storage aspect of HA can be particularly challenging to specify and build out because of the dependency count. If you are prepared to spend money on an integrator then that party can handle the major dependencies, however if you intend to build a do-it-yourself shared storage system then you should have some networking proficiency. It is doable if you are patient enough, and what you get as a result is the opportunity to play with an HA cluster that will bring up virtual machines on another host if their host fails. If you have some help in the form of a friend or consultant with prior experience the learning curve will be quite different.

You should decide early whether or not you will spend some money to implement multipathing. Multipathing requires a separate NIC and switch port for each physical connection to the shared storage target. You also need to source the shared storage target. If performance is a non-issue you can drop the popular Freenas system onto a machine you already have, provided there is sufficient hard disk capacity.

I have some links that could be useful but this website does not allow me to share them. Anyway query your favorite search for these terms and you will have some good reading material:
      • vSphere HA Checklist
      • VMware Networking Best Practices
      • DELL POWERVAULT MD3200I / MD3600I DEPLOYMENT GUIDE FOR VMWARE ESXI 5.0 SERVER SOFTWARE

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. Now that I have setup my DC, vcenter and 2 ESXi hosts, I'm running into an issue. On one ESXi host A, I have 2 virtual machines running. On ESXi Host B, no virtual machine is running. The VM files are located on a shared storage which I have configured. When I'm testing HA by powering off the ESXi host A, the 2 virtual machines are restarting when the ESXI host B is acting as master instead on remaining Always On. Can anyone please tell me what might be going wrong?

Thanks.

Comment

I don't understand what you're stating. Can you rephrase your question?

Also, just to clarify: HA doesn't provide "no downtime" failover. If one host goes down then the VM's will be restarted on the second host. The VM's will not stay "Always On".

If you want the VM's to remain "Always On" if a host fails then you need to configure VMware FT (fault tolerance).

Comment

Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I am using HA and I want the virtual machines to stay alive when the primary host fails.

Thanks

Comment

I will try FT and will let you know how it goes.

Thank you.

Comment

Hi, tried FT with no luck

Comment

A few more clues about what you did (in detail) and what went wrong/errors you got would really help you get better answers
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X