Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning VMWare - hardware and software reqs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning VMWare - hardware and software reqs?

Well, after years of being a confirmed Microsoftie, I'm wondering if I should add the VMware products to my skill set.

What kit would I be looking for to set up a test lab, ideally at minimal cost (have shedloads of PCs that can run server OSes and a high-end NAS which will support iSCSI)?

Are there evaluation / free versions of products available (and if so, where), and are there any good sites to start preparing for certification?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Learning VMWare - hardware and software reqs?

As for the hypervisor itself, you can run the free edition of vSphere for an unlimited amount of time with access to the licensed features for 60 days (IIRC). To get access to the licensed features beyond 60 days you'll need to purchase a license. Here's a comparison of the licensed editions and kits:

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/compare.html

vSphere Standard gives you access to most of the features you'll likely want to train on, like vMotion, Storage vMotion, HA, FT and Replication. You need vCenter Server to implement these features and vCenter Server is a separate purchase. If you purchase an Essentials Kit you'll get vCenter Server Essentials at no additional cost but you won't get the features I listed. To get those features you'll need an Essentials Plus Kit, so it may be more cost effective to purchase vSphere Standard and vCenter Server Foundation.

Regarding the hardware, you can check the VMware HCL:

http://www.vmware.com/resources/comp...56146854,d.dmg

I run my home lab (vSphere 5.1 Standard) on two Dell PE T110 II servers with an Iomega StorCenter iX2 as my iSCSI SAN.
    Last edited by joeqwerty; 8th November 2013, 20:11.

Comment

Cheers, Joe
      Trying to do things on a budget so will start with the free stuff

Any good suggestions on learning materials (apart from, obviously, trainsignal)
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The vSphere documentation is actually a pretty good place - http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/in...B3A92F1F0.html

Comment

Working...
        X