No announcement yet.

which virtualization platforms do you suggest for portability?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which virtualization platforms do you suggest for portability?

I like to experiment with virtualization as a mean of keeping my servers clean and efficient. Most work I do is test installations or configurations with Microsoft platforms as a laboratory (testing before production).

I am looking for portability of the virtual machines and…
    I would like to know your opinion of which platforms do you suggest for portability.
    I run servers on 2008 R2 (64 bits) and on Linux Ubuntu 11.x (64bits)
    I am intermediate in windows server, but very beginner on Linux.
    Portability in this case means that I can start the same virtual machine over windows or over Linux in a seamless way.

I use virtual PC (2005), and VWware player.
    Most I like of virtual PC is the feature “undo disk” which allows me to reset the virtual machine to the original state in just one step.

Re: which virtualization platforms do you suggest for portability?

I don't have the VMware experience to comment on that side of things, but one of the drawbacks of VirtualPC is that it will only support 32-bit operating systems, so Server2008R2/2012 are out of the question.

If you want to stay in Microsoft land, consider the free HyperV Server (2008R2 or 2012) which offers a full range of features and is highly scalable. You do have to license the guest OSes, but in your test environment, demo versions may be sufficient
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **