Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading ESX 4.1 into ESXi 5.1u1 caveats

Hi People,

What should we pay attention into especially when we upgrade the existing ESX 4.1 into ESXi 5.1 Update 1 ?

My understanding is that the previous COS on 8 GB VMDK will no longer be running or exist anymore when I selected the Force Migrate ESXi and preserve the VMFS partition ?

Please share your experience in upgrading here.

Cheers

Re: Upgrading ESX 4.1 into ESXi 5.1u1 caveats

disable DRS until you finish the upgrade. this will keep vSphere from wanting to move any hosts around while your trying to perform the update.

i would be more concerned with licensing and backups. make sure you have the licenses needed to run everything BEFORE you start upgrading.

secondly, make sure you have the the backup software to support backups. verify that it works with 5 prior...

thats just off the top of my head...

for what its worth.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
      disable DRS until you finish the upgrade. this will keep vSphere from wanting to move any hosts around while your trying to perform the update.

i would be more concerned with licensing and backups. make sure you have the licenses needed to run everything BEFORE you start upgrading.

secondly, make sure you have the the backup software to support backups. verify that it works with 5 prior...

thats just off the top of my head...

for what its worth.
      Thanks man for the quick reply, yes for sure I will go to the cluster setting to disable the HA & DRS, because I'm going to do the VM migration / evacuate from one host, and then put it into maintenance mode to do the manual bootable ISO ESXi migration.

In the previous ESX to ESXi upgrade in some host, the VMhost cannot see some LUN on the array and also the booting took ages, that's quite annoying.

Comment

you always want to upgrade your vCenter server first. Have a look here:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/in..._utmk=44094375

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          you always want to upgrade your vCenter server first. Have a look here:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/in..._utmk=44094375
          Yes Joe, I done that already, now the ESX 4.1 to ESXi 5.1 Update 1 must be done outside of the business hours.

what are the caveats and pitfalls that I need to pay special attention into ?

Comment

Originally posted by Albertwt View Post
            Yes Joe, I done that already, now the ESX 4.1 to ESXi 5.1 Update 1 must be done outside of the business hours.

what are the caveats and pitfalls that I need to pay special attention into ?
            Why does it have to be done outside business hours??

vMotion all the required VM's to another host and do the upgrade that way.

How are you doing the upgrade? We done our upgrade to 5.0 using VUM. Very simple and easy to do.

http://www.ivobeerens.nl/2011/08/18/...vmware-esxi-5/

You can upgrade directly from ESX 4.0 to ESXi 5.1 so my preference would be the VUM route.

Please ensure that you review the upgrade document, which I presume you already have, from VMware.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/to...rade-guide.pdf

No caveats that I can remember other than ensuring that any special changes that you have made are documented.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              Why does it have to be done outside business hours??

vMotion all the required VM's to another host and do the upgrade that way.

How are you doing the upgrade? We done our upgrade to 5.0 using VUM. Very simple and easy to do.

http://www.ivobeerens.nl/2011/08/18/...vmware-esxi-5/

You can upgrade directly from ESX 4.0 to ESXi 5.1 so my preference would be the VUM route.

Please ensure that you review the upgrade document, which I presume you already have, from VMware.

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-51/to...rade-guide.pdf

No caveats that I can remember other than ensuring that any special changes that you have made are documented.
              Thanks for the clarification mate, but it's bit risky to do the orchestrated upgrade from ESX 4.1 to ESXi 5.1 u 1, based on your comments, is it possible to evacuate the VM from one ESX host and then move it back once it is successfully upgraded to ESXi5.1 ?

Comment

Sure. Assuming you have the proper license and shared storage you can vMotion the VM's to another host, upgrade the host and vMotion the VM's back.

Comment

Originally posted by Albertwt View Post
                  Thanks for the clarification mate, but it's bit risky to do the orchestrated upgrade from ESX 4.1 to ESXi 5.1 u 1, based on your comments, is it possible to evacuate the VM from one ESX host and then move it back once it is successfully upgraded to ESXi5.1 ?
                  Of course it is.

What vSphere version are you running at the moment? From memory ALL versions come with vMotion enabled.

The only thing with that is that VMware tools will need updating but that is not an essential thing that needs done.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                    Sure. Assuming you have the proper license and shared storage you can vMotion the VM's to another host, upgrade the host and vMotion the VM's back.
                    Sorry Joe didn't see your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                      Sorry Joe didn't see your comment.
                      No worries.

Standard, Enterprise and Enterprise Plus come with vMotion, Storage vMotion, etc.

Essentials Kit doesn't but Essentials Plus Kit does.

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere/compare.html

Comment

Working...
                      X