Windows deployment on vmware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows deployment on vmware

I'm totally new to VMware and virtualization. I need some pointer's here in getting me started for deployment.

Here's the scenario: We need to deploy Windows 2000 server or advanced server on a vmware with at least 2tb of space for storage and a minimum of 4gb of ram with a max of 8gb. What type of vmware is recommended for this job ?

Is this implemented before, and documentations for me to get started on how to deploy windows 2000 server on a vmware.

How many clients can access this deployment ?

Re: Windows deployment on vmware

Originally posted by ghaffar3 View Post
    I'm totally new to VMware and virtualization. I need some pointer's here in getting me started for deployment.

Here's the scenario: We need to deploy Windows 2000 server or advanced server on a vmware with at least 2tb of space for storage and a minimum of 4gb of ram with a max of 8gb. What type of vmware is recommended for this job ?

Is this implemented before, and documentations for me to get started on how to deploy windows 2000 server on a vmware.

How many clients can access this deployment ?
    Windows 2000??? Seriously.

Comment

Yes, we have a legacy software to support and continue with it until someone decides to upgrade the software. So this software works with windows 2000 server or advanced server. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Yes, we have a legacy software to support and continue with it until someone decides to upgrade the software. So this software works with windows 2000 server or advanced server. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        Ok.

Why is it VMware and not hardware?

Do you already have an existing installtion of VMware?

What is your existing storage, if you have any?

I also don't think that Windows 2000 can access 2TB disks. Although this reg key MAY get passed that.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=305098

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          Ok.

Why is it VMware and not hardware?

Do you already have an existing installtion of VMware?

What is your existing storage, if you have any?

I also don't think that Windows 2000 can access 2TB disks. Although this reg key MAY get passed that.

I guess with our current installation on an old server with windows 2000 advanced server we are using 1tb as a San deployed to the server.

It's vmware because the new server we bought doesn't support either windows 2000 or windows 2000 advanced server. So the only choice we've got is to deploy it as virtual using vmware or any other virtual technology. No we don't have an existing installation of vmware, but want to learn how to deploy windows 2000 onto a virtual technology like vmware.

Comment

I guess with our current installation on an old server with windows 2000 advanced server we are using 1tb as a San deployed to the server.

It's vmware because the new server we bought doesn't support either windows 2000 or windows 2000 advanced server. So the only choice we've got is to deploy it as virtual using vmware or any other virtual technology. No we don't have an existing installation of vmware, but want to learn how to deploy windows 2000 onto a virtual technology like vmware.
            Ok so now we're actually getting somewhere.

Windows 2000 Server can be installed in a VM in the same manner as a physical box, i.e mount the CD then start the server and install only in this case it would be an ISO. You can also use VMware Convertor to convert your current physical box, all apps intact, to the new virtual environment.

Will you be using the server for any other VM's?

What is your current SAN equipment and is this in the VMware HCL?

For actual software you'd really be looking at VMware Workstation, VMware Server (deprecated), ESXi (free) and ESXi and vCenter. All the relevant details will be on the VMware website.

If you decide to go the paid ESXi route then look at the VMware Essentials kits as the do save some money.

http://www.vmware.com/au/products/da...pare-kits.html

Have you spec'd the server and purcahsed already as you may be able to buy the kits OEM rather than direct from VMware.

Comment

Ok so now we're actually getting somewhere.

Windows 2000 Server can be installed in a VM in the same manner as a physical box, i.e mount the CD then start the server and install only in this case it would be an ISO. You can also use VMware Convertor to convert your current physical box, all apps intact, to the new virtual environment.

Will you be using the server for any other VM's?

What is your current SAN equipment and is this in the VMware HCL?

For actual software you'd really be looking at VMware Workstation, VMware Server (deprecated), ESXi (free) and ESXi and vCenter. All the relevant details will be on the VMware website.

If you decide to go the paid ESXi route then look at the VMware Essentials kits as the do save some money.

Have you spec'd the server and purcahsed already as you may be able to buy the kits OEM rather than direct from VMware.

Thanks mate.

For the new server, this would be at the remote site, so no Sans are planned we are going to deploy on the internal HDD's. Would you recommend vmware hypervisor for this. And how is this deployed. we need to first install windows and then install in it as an application or it's deployed directly using bootable cd. the new server is ibm

Just to add here. We are currently looking at the free versions as we are not comfortable with vmware yet. If it works out properly we will go the paid route for support etc. But for the time being we need something free for testing this out in the production environment

This server would only be used for one vm for windows 2000 server/advanced server, we don't have any current or future plans to deploy multiple vm's on this server
              Last edited by ghaffar3; 25th August 2013, 07:59.

Comment

Thanks mate.

For the new server, this would be at the remote site, so no Sans are planned we are going to deploy on the internal HDD's. Would you recommend vmware hypervisor for this. And how is this deployed. we need to first install windows and then install in it as an application or it's deployed directly using bootable cd. the new server is ibm

Just to add here. We are currently looking at the free versions as we are not comfortable with vmware yet. If it works out properly we will go the paid route for support etc. But for the time being we need something free for testing this out in the production environment

This server would only be used for one vm for windows 2000 server/advanced server, we don't have any current or future plans to deploy multiple vm's on this server
                For a single server i would install Windows and use VMware Workstation and utilise the server for other tasks as well as the application required.

Comment

For a single server i would install Windows and use VMware Workstation and utilise the server for other tasks as well as the application required.

Did you mean load windows 2003 or windows 2008 on the server and then install vmware workstation onto it. With vmware workstation install windows server 2000. Is that what you meant. Sorry mate I do need detailed explanantions as I'm still new to vmware and getting my grip this on how to go about this.

Comment

Did you mean load windows 2003 or windows 2008 on the server and then install vmware workstation onto it. With vmware workstation install windows server 2000. Is that what you meant. Sorry mate I do need detailed explanantions as I'm still new to vmware and getting my grip this on how to go about this.
                    Depending on your licence situation and current domian setup i would install Server 2008 (minimum installation now) then install VMware workstation on that. Once you have it installed you can then install Server 2000 from the CD.

I presume your server build is coming with the 2TB of disk installed or will you be leveraging your exisitng SAN?

It really is all pretty intuative once you have it installed.

Comment

Depending on your licence situation and current domian setup i would install Server 2008 (minimum installation now) then install VMware workstation on that. Once you have it installed you can then install Server 2000 from the CD.

I presume your server build is coming with the 2TB of disk installed or will you be leveraging your exisitng SAN?

It really is all pretty intuative once you have it installed.
                      Great I already have windows server 2008 on the server. I will go the workstation route then. The server does have 2tb of disk installed, so I would be using that as storage.

Can you please tell me if the vmware workstation is free license or is this paid. If I get this thing working using vmware workstation, what ram / hdd would this deployment use, how do you set that for vmware workstation. And after this can I deploy Sybase server on windows server 2000.

It's great talking to you, atleast now I have a clear picture on how to proceed. You have been really helpful.

Thanks mate

Just to add here which version of the workstation do you recommend. On the vmware website the latest is 9.0. Should this be fine for the job
                      Last edited by ghaffar3; 25th August 2013, 08:55.

Comment

Great I already have windows server 2008 on the server. I will go the workstation route then. The server does have 2tb of disk installed, so I would be using that as storage.

Can you please tell me if the vmware workstation is free license or is this paid. If I get this thing working using vmware workstation, what ram / hdd would this deployment use, how do you set that for vmware workstation. And after this can I deploy Sybase server on windows server 2000.

It's great talking to you, atleast now I have a clear picture on how to proceed. You have been really helpful.

Thanks mate

Just to add here which version of the workstation do you recommend. On the vmware website the latest is 9.0. Should this be fine for the job
                        Workstation is paid for application.

They used to do Server as a free app but its no longer is available.

For the cost workstation is perfect. I have it on my home system for test labs and couldn't live without it TBH.

Comment

Workstation is paid for application.

They used to do Server as a free app but its no longer is available.

For the cost workstation is perfect. I have it on my home system for test labs and couldn't live without it TBH.
                          whats the cost for this, please point me to the website where i can buy it. Is there a full evaluation version I can try before i BUY... i need to make sure my application works with this deployment before I buy it.

How much does it cost any way.

Comment

Does it have to be VMware?
                            If not, you could use HyperV Server (2008R2 or 2012) as the host OS without any costs
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                              Does it have to be VMware?
                              If not, you could use HyperV Server (2008R2 or 2012) as the host OS without any costs
                              That is of course another option LOL.

Not sure if the OP is determined to use VMware though.

Comment

Working...
                              X