Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VMs shutting down automatically after booting in ESXi 3.5.0 running in Workstation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMs shutting down automatically after booting in ESXi 3.5.0 running in Workstation

Hi,

I have successfully installed VMWare ESX Server 3.5.0 in VM Ware Workstation. But I am facing problem in starting any VMs whether it is Win XP or Ubuntu.

I have tried all three possibilities but failed :

Case 1: Client Device

Case 2: Host Device

Automatically gets powered off after showing the initial boot screen. . No error message is displayed.

Case 3: Datastore ISO

Immediately gets powered off after the VMWare BIOS logo.

Where am I wrong? Please help. I'm struggling with it for the last couple of days...

Re: VMs shutting down automatically after booting in ESXi 3.5.0 running in Workstatio

Have you followed the instructions on this KB
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Re: VMs shutting down automatically after booting in ESXi 3.5.0 running in Workstatio

Yes exactly.

Comment

Then the only way to find the exact problem it go through the vmware.log file of the specific VM and see where it is failing.

the log file should be located in the same folder as the VM files.
        Maish
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Attaching logs..

During installation of Ubuntu 12.10 Desktop 32 bit

Log during using ISO from SAN Datastore : vmware_datastore_log

Log during using ISO from client device : vmware_client_ISO_log

Virtual ESXi log
          Attached Files

Comment

Cannot open the file you attached.

One thing comes to mind - how much memory do you have configured on the virtual video adapter?
            Maish

Have a good one!!

Comment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/py3y864i8m...ual%20esxi.log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fingtn7rvw...nt_ISO_log.log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a59ix06gya...astore_log.log

How to find out the video memory?

Comment

The answer is in the logs..

Code:
                2013-07-23T13:18:32.561+05:30| vmx| I120: [msg.cpuid.noLongmode2] This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible.
                2013-07-23T13:18:32.561+05:30| vmx| I120+ This host does not support Intel VT-x.
                2013-07-23T13:18:32.561+05:30| vmx| I120+ For more detailed information, see http://vmware.com/info?id=152.
                Code:
                Jul 23 18:50:28.565: vcpu-0| MONITOR PANIC: vcpu-0:VMM fault: regs=0x2f94, exc=13, eip=0x818a5c8
                Jul 23 18:50:28.565: vcpu-0| Core dump with build build-207095
                Jul 23 18:50:28.593: vcpu-0| Writing monitor corefile "/vmfs/volumes/51ecd349-a18d115c-0e08-000c29e68b78/Ubuntu 12/vmware-core.gz"
                Jul 23 18:50:28.594: vcpu-0| CoreDump: dumping core with superuser privileges
                Jul 23 18:50:28.648: vcpu-0| VMK Stack for vcpu 0 is at 3df5000
                Jul 23 18:50:28.648: vcpu-0| Beginning monitor coredump
                Jul 23 18:50:28.888: vcpu-0| End monitor coredump
                Jul 23 18:50:28.889: vcpu-0| Beginning extended monitor coredump
                Jul 23 18:50:28.889: vcpu-0| Writing anonymous pages at pos: 404000
                Jul 23 18:50:29.540: vcpu-0| Msg_Post: Error
                Jul 23 18:50:29.540: vcpu-0| [msg.log.monpanic] *** VMware ESX Server internal monitor error ***
                Jul 23 18:50:29.540: vcpu-0| vcpu-0:VMM fault: regs=0x2f94, exc=13, eip=0x818a5c8
                Jul 23 18:50:29.540: vcpu-0| [msg.log.monpanic.report] Please report this problem by selecting menu item Help > VMware on the Web > Request Support, or by going to the Web page "http://www.vmware.com/info?id=8&logFile=%2fvmfs%2fvolumes%2f51ecd349%2da18d115c%2d0e08%2d000c29e68b78%2fUbuntu%2012%2fvmware%2elog&coreLocation=%2fvmfs%2fvolumes%2f51ecd349%2da18d115c%2d0e08%2d000c29e68b78%2fUbuntu%2012%2fvmware%2dcore%2egz". Please provide us with the log file (/vmfs/volumes/51ecd349-a18d115c-0e08-000c29e68b78/Ubuntu 12/vmware.log) and the core file (/vmfs/volumes/51ecd349-a18d115c-0e08-000c29e68b78/Ubuntu 12/vmware-core.gz).
                Jul 23 18:50:29.540: vcpu-0| [msg.log.monpanic.serverdebug] If the problem is repeatable, please set 'Use Debug Monitor' to 'Yes' in the 'Misc' section of the Configure Virtual Machine Web page. Then reproduce the incident and file it according to the instructions.
                Jul 23 18:50:29.540: vcpu-0| [msg.log.monpanic.vmSupport] To collect files to submit to VMware support, run "vm-support".
                Jul 23 18:50:29.540: vcpu-0| [msg.log.monpanic.entitlement] We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.
                Jul 23 18:50:29.540: vcpu-0| [msg.log.monpanic.finish] We appreciate your feedback,
                Jul 23 18:50:29.540: vcpu-0|   -- the VMware ESX Server team.
                Jul 23 18:50:29.540: vcpu-0| ----------------------------------------
                Jul 23 18:50:29.554: vcpu-0| Exiting vcpu-0
                Jul 23 18:50:30.542: vmx| VTHREAD watched thread 4 "vcpu-0" died
                Jul 23 18:50:30.650: mks| VTHREAD watched thread 0 "vmx" died
                Your BIOS settings are either not set properly - or the CPU does not support it.
                Maish

Have a good one!!

Comment

My Processor is Intel Core 2 Duo E7400.

Is is necessary for it to have Intel VT-X Support to install ESX 3.5.0?

Comment

to deploy VM's under a virtual ESX - yes it is
                    Maish

Have a good one!!

Comment

Ok. So I'm planning to purchase a new processor with VT-X support and install esx directly on the physical system (no nested esx).

Will I face any problem running VMs unders esx after that? I think if processor is 64 bit and VT-X enabled, I can even install ESX 5 and run 64 bit VMs under it. Right?

Also while building a new system, do I need to check any specific configuration of the motherboard?

Comment

Before you buy a new chip (and maybe motherboard too) you should check if your current one is already capable, using a checker like http://blogs.msdn.com/b/volkerw/arch...k-utility.aspx

Many MoBos (including server ones) have virtualisation disabled in the BIOS and it is just a case of enable, shut down and restart (a reboot does not cut it) and virtualisation is running. For some laptops a BIOS upgrade may be needed as the switch to enable VT is not present.

If you post the make/model of your MoBo and Processor, someone can probably help you out.

Also you are running (as far as I can see) multiple levels of virtualisation:
                        WIndows OS==>VMware Workstation==>ESX, which won't be helping the situation
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

After using the software you referred :

http://i.imgur.com/PftDhoh.jpg

My motherboard details :

http://i.imgur.com/OaY1BOJ.jpg

VM Details:

Physical System : Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
                          VMWare Workstation : 9.0.1
                          ESXi : 3.5.0

Win 8 --> ESXi --> Ubuntu
                          Last edited by srijit92; 25th July 2013, 09:08.

Comment

OK, so from the first image it appears your processor does not support VT so you will need a new processor (therefore almost certainly a new motherboard and quite possibly RAM)
                            Tom Jones
                            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                              OK, so from the first image it appears your processor does not support VT so you will need a new processor (therefore almost certainly a new motherboard and quite possibly RAM)
                              Do i need to look for any particular feature while purchasing the mobo?

Comment

Working...
                              X