ESXi 5.X with Linux Firewall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESXi 5.X with Linux Firewall

Hello, im going to implement a Server with ESXI 5, it will be places on a datacenter. It will have 3 Vitual machines, 1 Linux VM for router and Firewall Setting for the Other VM's, and 1 VM with Exchange, Another with 2003 fos TS. Does this make sens Installing a Linux VM for router and Firewall for the other VM's ? the idea is two Nics oin the Linux VM, one with the public ip and the other for internal ip so that the other vms comunicate between them. Is this possible? Is it Safe ?

Best Regards
    Kevin

Re: ESXi 5.X with Linux Firewall

Yes you can build a virtual router/firewall and use NAT just like you would in the physical world.

Think about how you would cable all that up if they were physical machines rather than VMs, and you should understand how you would build the virtual switches to support that setup in ESXi.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

as scott said - you can definitely do this. However - you do nneed to consider that technically it could have lower overall security than a tradtiional HW firewall (seeing as you could in theory communicate across the fabrics)
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I am considering doing the same for my ESXi 5 lab environment, with a Vyatta system at the WAN edge, including some packet screening and/or IDS functions. I would be curious to know what you end up trying and how it works for you. Please report back.

Originally posted by kevinguerreiro View Post
        Hello, im going to implement a Server with ESXI 5, it will be places on a datacenter. It will have 3 Vitual machines, 1 Linux VM for router and Firewall Setting for the Other VM's, and 1 VM with Exchange, Another with 2003 fos TS. Does this make sens Installing a Linux VM for router and Firewall for the other VM's ? the idea is two Nics oin the Linux VM, one with the public ip and the other for internal ip so that the other vms comunicate between them. Is this possible? Is it Safe ?

Best Regards
        Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by netjustin View Post
          I am considering doing the same for my ESXi 5 lab environment, with a Vyatta system at the WAN edge, including some packet screening and/or IDS functions. I would be curious to know what you end up trying and how it works for you. Please report back.
          Hey Guy's, thanks for the answer. I'm making a Zeroshell Distro Router/Firewall on one of the VM. So what i will have to on the other VMS is to put the gateway and dns server off the Linux Machine and i will have the Other VMS Secure? From Outside in, and in to Outside? I will be installing and testing for the next 2 Weeks. I will post here What i Have done and how i Have Done it, probably to Create a Little How to for the Petri Forum.

Comment

Working...
          X