Recovering an ESX guest machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering an ESX guest machine

I am running an ESXi 5 host, and had one guest OS installed (running windows 7).

Yesterday it locked up and the guest would not turn of/reset or anything.
    I ended up rebooting the host, and then the guest changed its status to "unknown".

So because the system wasnt majorly important, I just requested a reinstall from the provider (its a hosted setup).

ESX has been reinstalled, but now I see the two datastores are already set up, and when I look on the second datastore, I see that my windows 7 guest is there, in the form of a .vmdk file.

Just wondering if this is all I need to get that guest back, and if so what is the procedure?
    David Silvester
    Systems Administrator

Re: Recovering an ESX guest machine

If the VMX file is also present you can right click it and select "Add to Inventory". If the VMX file isn't present then you can create a new VM and select the Custom option and then select the option "Use an existing virtual disk" and browse to the VMDK.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      If the VMX file is also present you can right click it and select "Add to Inventory". If the VMX file isn't present then you can create a new VM and select the Custom option and then select the option "Use an existing virtual disk" and browse to the VMDK.
      The VMX file was not present.

I tried as suggested, adding the VMDK file, but when I tried to boot, it said no operating system found.

Im thinking about just building windows from scratch.
      David Silvester
      Systems Administrator

Comment

Try this

http://techhead.co/vmware-esx-how-to...rupt-vmx-file/

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
          In the end I just reloaded from scratch - because with this particular guest, we had very little information on it, so it was easier to reload.
          David Silvester
          Systems Administrator

Comment

Working...
          X