Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Generate new security ID" same as sysprep /generalize

Hi All,

I have been trying to get to the bottom of sysprep and vSphere's Guest Customization wizard. I am aware that VMware uses's Microsoft's sysprep tool to perform the customization of the guest OS. As you know, there are things that sysprep /generalize does besides reset the SID. For instance, sysprep changes the CMID (client machine ID), which KMS uses to uniquely identify OS's.

I want to confirm if the checkbox in vSphere's Guest Customization wizard, "Generate New Security ID" is the same as "sysprep /generalize." For example, if I run the guest customization wizard and don't check "Generate New Security ID," what items have been reset? It seems to me that I have created an answer file and potentially reset the licensing, computer name, and networking. But has the CMID been reset? What about the nebulous list of "other" things that sysprep /generalize resets? What in the Guest Customization wizard controls those things?

Also, if anyone has a reliable source for a list of everything that sysprep /generalize does/resets, I would love to have that information. Even Microsoft's site finishes their list with phrases like, "among other things." I want to know exactly the things that sysprep generalize resets and not guess. I have spent a lot of time searching and am not getting definite answers.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can provide!

Richard

Re: "Generate new security ID" same as sysprep /generalize

Hi Again,

Does anyone want to take a shot at this question?

Thanks!

R

Comment

Hi, this has a good description, but you may have already seen it.
      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx
      I didn't manage to find anything better.
      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Essentially, the generalize switch forces the generalize configuration pass to run which in turn removes the system-specific information as you know. The Springboard Series page on TechNet has a library article entitled, How Configuration Passes Work, which explains the functions of all the various switches you can run with sysprep.

You also might find the article, How Sysprep Works, to be beneficial as well. And finally, when looking for additional information for your question, I came across this TechNet forums thread which offers additional insight into the sysprep /generalize command.

Hope this helps!

Jessica
        Windows Outreach Team IT Pro

Comment

Thanks to the both of you. I had seen a few of the documents and a few were new. I will read through the new info.

Cheers,

R

Comment

Originally posted by rhoffman3 View Post
            Thanks to the both of you. I had seen a few of the documents and a few were new. I will read through the new info.

Cheers,

R
            Great! Feel free to reach out if you still have questions.

Jessica
            Windows Outreach Team -- IT Pro

Comment

Working...
            X