Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clone or Template VM only boots PXE

I am running vsphere 5.1

Everytime I create a vm clone or create a vm from a template the vm does not boot and gets stuck on the PXE boot screen. I put the hard disk at startup that does not help. The error I get after PXE aborts is no OS installed?
    Anyone know what is going on?
    Thanks Jim

Re: Clone or Template VM only boots PXE

If you convert the template back to a VM will it power on OK?
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Clone or Template VM only boots PXE

Nope converting it back did not allow it to power on either.

Here’s what I found, it may help someone else out there. This is for VSphere 5.1

1. If I try to clone a machine that is not running, the cloned machine will never boot and try to boot from PXE, it then says no OS found

Solution:
      So to clone a machine I keep the Source VM running then it allows me to clone it. The clone VM then does work.

2. If I try to Clone to template a fully activated Windows 2008 R2 machine . Any machine using that template will fail with the PXE boot error as above.

Solution:
      The source machine needs to be turned off, we know that already.
      You have to use Convert to Template, clone to template does not work I also use a fully activated Windows VM as my source.

I turn off the VM, copy the files for it into another folder, I then add this duplicate dummy VM to Vcenter and convert that version to a Template. This leaves your fully activated Windows VM alone.

I then use a customization file and attach it to the template when I create a VM and it works great.

My question for the group is?
      Does Clone to Template work for you?
      Does Cloning a machine that is turned off, work for you?

Comment

Working...
      X