VMware Vs. Citrix

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware Vs. Citrix

I am trying to migrate away from citrix in my environment, but having trouble figuring out what vmware product will do what Citrix does now. We use Citrix for basically remote desktop access to run apps that need to be ran local in our datacenter, like MS Access Databases, and apps that are delay sensitive and perform poorly over our WAN environments. So what product from VMware implements this type of solution? VMware thin app just seems like desktop app virtualization and im not if thats what I need because I need the app to run in the remote site, not locally on the user desktop.

Re: VMware Vs. Citrix

VMware View.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Isn't just desktop virtualization? From a cost standpoint where does this lie compared to citrix. For citrix i use terminal service licensing only requiring one license for an OS that multiple users access. VDI is a separate instance of a OS.

Comment

With Citrix you need one server OS license for the host server and you need an additional TS/RDS CAL for each user or device and you also need a Citrix license for each user or device.

With VDI you need only a single license for the OS for each virtual desktop.

Comment

View can also broker RDP sessions to Windows Terminal Servers, as well as RDP or PCOIP sessions to virtual desktops.
          VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

So I am back to this scenario, I am trying to do away with my citrix presentation server/xenapp solution all together. I have a fully function vSphere 5.1 environment running enterprise licensing. So I am trying to decide how I would proceed with View to replace my functionality for Citrix.

Our big need for Citrix is users from remote sites using Access Databases. Access Databases over the WAN are painful. I also have the need for iPad users to be able to use our ERP system interface which uses only IE with silverlight.

So what solution of View do I need to research? VMware products have become very complicated over the past few years.

Comment

Basically with VMware View, it's just one product.
              However it can be setup multiple ways like a RDP/TS broker, can deliver Desktops and integrate with thin app when needed.

It just depends on what you need. At first glance I would look into more detail in the Desktops as that sounds like what you need.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
              X