Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VM move datastore question!

** Attachments of discussed below attached **

I have a VM Exchange 2010 server in which has 5 disks the edit VM shows all 5 disks as 400GB iSCSI - 3 but the disk is showing only 25GB free and i need to free up space.

So looking at moving the VM and its disks to another datastore but the disks are 80GB, 500GB, 500GB, 500GB and 500GB which obviously is more than the physical disk it is on somehow.

The summary for the VM shows 5 other disks so dont understand why the edit section shows them as the same!

when i go to the datastore i can see there is 8 .vmdk files.

I was looking to move the root folder to another datastore but dont know if the disks vmdk files within are the disks and will move and work fine no links broken or not.

Just looking for some advise as i dont see why i have 8 vmdk files in the data store when only 5 disks and the edit shows the same disk but the summary section shows 5 all being different disks.

Any advise would be appericated on both the explanation of the disks and also the best way to move to avoid it becoming full as it failed the other day the VM crashed as only had 2MB free so i deleted the snapshot to then free up some space but this space is soon filling up with it being exchange.

Thanks in advance guys...

Attached Files
    Last edited by dandaman; 25th January 2013, 22:40.

Re: VM move datastore question!

By the looks of the datastore view the disks are thin provisioned, so the files are only as large as they need to be as opposed to the full 500GB each, the files will grow over time. You have overprovisioned that datastore by a significant amount with it only being 400GB in size. And it looks like the VM has at least one snapshot on it, snapshot files also grow over time.

Combine all of that and you should appreciate why your datastore will fill.

I would delete any snapshots (assuming they weren't absolutely essential to have been taken), and look to migrate the VM to a datastore that would result in much less overprovisioning, or grow the size of the existing datastore.
    Last edited by scott28tt; 26th January 2013, 10:37.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Thanks for your response i know the problem im just looking for the best way to move them.

with it being exchange 2010 and it having 5 disks i dont know if moving them to another datastore will cause a boken link the the disks etc..

any advise on moving i am after with the current setup.

Comment

Backup the VM, delete all the snapshots, migrate the VM to a datastore that has more than enough space - as you've had problems with thin provisioning and snapshots you might want to avoid using those features in future.

Comment

There is no snapshots showing in snapshot manager to delete.

How would you back it up by taking a snapshot or clone?

i am just worried as it is a exchange server 2010 and is the MBX there is also a CAS and HUB server which all interlink and also worried about the disk drives ones moved.

I didnt know if to shutdown the VM and then go into the datastore which is low and move the vmdk to another datastore with more disk space and then power on just worried about it failing.

Please advise i know its a mess the person before me has set it up like this now i have to try and fix it!!

Comment

Snapshots are not backups. Don't you backup your VMs normally anyway?

If you're using vSphere 5 I would recommend checking this first: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=2003638

When you do the datastore migration you can do this as an advanced migration and choose the datastore for each individual virtual disk, but I wouldn't as this leaves the VM split across datastores - I would look for a single datastore to migrate the whole of the VM to.

Comment

I have just made a free 800gb datastore but unable to clone it to that due to not enought space which i kind of understand with how its provisioned but it has more space than the 400gb its currentlty on.

I have attached the attempts to clone as you can see the 400GB says it can be used which is already on and has more provisioned!
              Attached Files

Comment

VM version 4.1.0

Comment

Are you trying to clone the server or migrate the server??

Have you consolidated your snapshots??

Comment

Just want to move it around so i can free up some space.

Its now unable to boot and crashed as it only has 10MB free on the 400GB disk but as shown in my screenshots it shows other disks but when i edit the VM it shows all on the 400GB??

i just need an answer to get it up and running now and there is no snapshots when i look in the snapshot manager.

Any help would be much appericated.

Comment

There appear to be snapshot files going by the directory listing you provided.

Try this.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/doc...rnalID=1002310

Comment

Working...
                      X