No announcement yet.

hybrid deployment

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hybrid deployment

I am thinking of getting a hybrid deployment, i.e have a mix of VMware Hypervisor, Red Hat KVM or Microsoft Hyper V. can anyone please throw some light on the advantages and disadvantages of having such an arrangement???

Re: hybrid deployment

Is there a reason why (out of interest)? Are there a business cases for needing X over Y etc?

The things I can think of would be:

-More support costs as there are more environments (inc things like backup software, licensing etc)
    -Less chances of a bug/issue affecting your entire estate
    -Possibly different requirements on the SAN.
    -User access portal differences
    -Physical kit recommendations may be different which could reduce the ability to replace one environment with kit from another (as opposed to having all servers in one environment).

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: hybrid deployment

• No single point of failure - if one particular software platform has a bug, then it won't affect everything (as AndyJG pointed out)
      • there's literature that suggests some virtualised platforms run better on particular hypervisors - ie, linux may run better in ESX than hyperV.
      • No platform similarity - you can't hot-migrate a guest from one environment to another
      • No shared storage (probably)
      • additional support costs, licence costs
      • additional complexity and lack of clarity

that's just a start.. I think the cons outweigh the pros
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point