Hardware Upgrade and vCenter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Upgrade and vCenter

We have recently installed two new servers, both the new servers have esxi5 installed and we have vCenter up and running. Both new hosts have been added to a datacentre and we've built a couple of VM's for test purposes and everything is fine and dandy. However, our current production environment runs on an older server that's running esxi 4. This server is not licenced as we were using the freebie version that covered a single host.

In an ideal scenario we would like to add the esxi 4 host to the vCenter environment and use vmotion to migrate the production VM's to the new hosts. However we can't add the old host because it is not licenced. We are currently using an evalution copy of vCenter and vSphere but will go down the route of obtaining a licence for VMWare Essentials - I guess we will opt for the Essentials plus package as it has more bells and whistles and, crucially, the vMotion option.

So, if we obtain an Essentials Plus licence, will that allow us to apply a licence to the old host in order to carry out the migration of the VM's as outline above?

The eventual plan would be to upgrade the old host to esxi 5 once the VM migration has been completed.

Cheers,

Ian
    Last edited by ianLP59; 26th November 2012, 13:34. Reason: incompetent typing

Re: Hardware Upgrade and vCenter

The VirtualCenter agent needs to be able to run. Without a license this remains locked and disabled.

Are the VM's on a shared storage?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I am aware of the licence issue with regard to the old esxi 4 host. My question was whether, after purchasing an Essentials Plus licence, we would be able to licence the old host.

The existing production VM's are on the old host's own physical drive. We would need to migrate the datastore to our new ISCSI SAN storage.

Comment

I believe you can exercise "downgrade rights" for the 4.x host, the best thing to do is contact a reseller and ask them if its possible, and what you'd need to do with the license keys.

Essentials Plus doesn't include Storage vMotion, so you will need to suspend or shutdown your VMs to migrate them to your iSCSI datastore when the time comes.
        VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Working...
        X