No announcement yet.

Design Question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design Question

Can someone help me out with a design scenerio in my current vmware environment?

I have 2 ESX Hosts with 4 x 1G NIC's, and 2 x 10G connections. I have 2 virtual switches, one for management that has 2 x 1G NIC's from each server connected to it for failover. The other switch has both 10G connections assigned to it from each host for failover as well.

Upstream all connections go to 2 x Nexus 5Ks. The 5Ks have a port channel between them.

So my question is when the vSwitch has two NICs assigned to it, does the traffic load balance if left to the default settings? I have to run the 5Ks in HSRP so that I can have a VIP for the deafult gateway for the servers and hosts, so only one will pass traffic at a time, so if the traffic is load balanced, some will get to the standby switch and be passed....So how does this work.
    Attached Files

Re: Design Question

There are several options to load balance traffic on a vSwitch, but some more info would be helpful.

Which traffic are you looking to load-balance? VM traffic? vMotion? NAS?
    Are you using a dvSwitch or the standard vSwitch?
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!