Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which VMWare Version for Server 2008 R2

Hi Guyz

I have a Machine Xeon CPU 3.4GHz with 16GB RAM. I have installed Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.

I have VMWare Images which was running earlier in Windows 7 with VMWare Workstation 8.

When i tried to install VMWare Workstation 8, i got the ****Error: VMware Workstation can not be installed on this computer. VMware workstation requires features that are not present on your CPU. See the product release notes for specific hardware and software requirements.****

I have also attached the screen shot.

Question:
    1. How to know which version of the VMware my Server can support?
    2. How to know the particular hardware does support VMware or not?

Thanks and regards
    Attached Files
    Kamal

Re: Which VMWare Version for Server 2008 R2

Check your bios for Intel-VT (guessing)
    Secondly why don't you just install the VMware Hypervisor instead of Windows?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi there,

I've encounter this error before....you need to have a 64bit CPU and make sure that you enabled the virtualization in the BIOS in order to install the Windows 2008 R2..

I hope my first post help you

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the Reply. I believe my server CPU does support 64BIT. Following is the server specification link. It is Acer Altos G710

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/se...sG710sp2.shtml

Moreover, I checked the BIOS but it does not have any VT or virtualization option in the BIOS.

@Dumber
        If i install Hypervisor, can i install VMWare Workstation 8 after that. Because all of VMWare images are created in VMWare Workstation 8.

Regards
        Kamal

Comment

Your CPU needs to support Hardware-Assisted Virtualization, you can tell if its enabled with one of the following tools.
          http://www.grc.com/securable.htm its called securable.
          Or microsofts version.
          http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ls.aspx?id=592

Also you can help us out by telling everyone what motherboard and processor you have and we can let you know if its a supported feature of your cpu and how to enable it.
          If you aren't sure about that there is a tool called CPU-Z which should tell you everything.
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Thanks for your brief reply.

Attached is the screenshots of all details.

does it make any difference if i change OS from Server 2008 to Windows 7 64BIT?

Regards
            Attached Files
            Kamal

Comment

Your system doesn't support hardware virtualization so you won't be able to install Workstation.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

is it possible Software Based Virtualization?

Which VMWare Version i can install?

is it possible to access Virtual Machines which were created through VMWare Workstation 8 to any other VMWare version? if yes then which one?

Regards
                Kamal

Comment

To my knowledge I don't think vmware offer a Software-based virtualization package. If you want vmware you need a CPU that supports VT

I think virtualbox.org may be one of your only options ( i have never used it myself)
                  Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                  I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                  MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

I tried to install VMware VMware-workstation-full-7.0.0-203739 and it works fine with the same machine. But the problem is that VMware images does not work in older version.. These images were created in VMware 8.0.
                    I am really stuck up. Now, i have only one solution to change my Machine and which will cost me a lot.
                    Kamal

Comment

Working...
                    X