Virtualization setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtualization setup

I intend to virtualise my companies 4 servers into one server.

Currently we have:

Exchange 2010 Server 50 users low usage. 30 40 messages per day.
    SQL 2008 - 20 Dynamic Nav users.
    File Server 40 users connecting occasionally throughout the day.
    Domain Controller

The proposed hardware is as follows:

2 x Intel Xeon Processor X5690 (3.46 GHz, Six Core, 12MB cache)
    4 x 450 GB Seagate Cheetah 15K.7 (16 MB cache/15,000 rpm/SAS 6Gb/s)
    48 GB DDR3-RAM (12x Kingston DIMM 4 GB PC3-10600 ECC Reg)
    QNAP TS 790 Pro (Dual core i3 Processor, 2GB RAM, 12TB, RAID6) X2

The plan is to configure the disks in the server as RAID10 for better I/O performance for exchange 2010.

The Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008 database and logs will be stored on the NAS (I plan to use iSCSI to connect the Virtual Servers to the NAS box.

I then plan to use my old server as a redundant server to use the VMware HA feature.

I have an identical NAS box that will be setup as a replica of the production NAS box.

Will my proposed server have enough resources to do the job for box SQL and Exchange?

Is there anything Im overlooking?

Any setup suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

Re: Virtualization setup

If you want to use HA with just the 2 physical servers you will need to store all the files of your VMs on shared storage such as NAS, so the local storage of each physical server isn't really important.

In fact, a lot of people boot ESXi off a USB stick or SD card these days.

Your two physical servers provide the VMs with compute resource, network connections and access to your shared storage. Using shared storage will also give you the ability to migrate your VMs across the hosts using technologies like vMotion.

You will need vCenter Server to setup HA and use vMotion, but you can run that in a VM too.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Originally posted by paddy_ot View Post
      Is there anything Im overlooking?
      Host redundancy. If these are production workloads needing high availability, you'll need a 2nd host in a cluster with shared storage. vCenter Server will be required as well.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche View Post
        Host redundancy. If these are production workloads needing high availability, you'll need a 2nd host in a cluster with shared storage. vCenter Server will be required as well.
        This was in the original post:

I then plan to use my old server as a redundant server to use the VMware HA feature.

Comment

Hi,

After chatting with a few people int the industry this solution has been suggested to me:

Two servers, each with VMWare Essentials.

Use all local disks and not a NAS as its only another piece of hardware that can fail.Running everything off of the local disks.

Run half the load on each server. 2 + "2

Use Veeam to take backups. Put the backups on the QNAP NAS (using NFS, not iSCSI.)

Then in case of a failure of one node only half of your systems go down, and only for a few minutes. The other server can grab the images files from the QNAP and start them up immediately.

So I'm back in full swing in a few minutes and only lose half of your environment.

If the QNAP dies, just replace it. Nothing depends on it until a host node fails.

No chained dependencies.

I can really see the logic in this.

Comment

How frequently are you planning on doing those backups? That's going to be your point of recovery...

Comment

Working...
            X