No announcement yet.

RAID Controller Support

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID Controller Support

Hi ,

We are using the Intel Server with Intel C220 Chipset Motherboard . RAID 0,1 support is available on board , its a software raid support built in BIOS. Now while trying to install ESXi 5.0 its not detecting the RAID 1 which i implement using the on board BIOS Configuration . So is it a way that i can implement a RAID 1 on this board and it supports the esxi 5.0 . I contact Intel Server Customer Support , but they says only if vmware makes any patch in their version , then only its possible.
    So is it possible to resolve the issue , without going to install the new external RAID card on my server....

Also now if i want to confirm that which external RAID Card will supports on ESXi 5.0 server , where can i get it ? We are using 2x500gb SATA Hard drives.

Last edited by kathy; 12th July 2012, 06:17. Reason: details

Re: RAID Controller Support

Hi ,

Is this the correct link to get the information for RAID Controller , which supports the VMWare ESXi 5.0 is there some more links with even price details also.

is your server listed on the hardware compatibility list for ESXi ?
      Is the RAID card?

I know that I have a HP Microliant here, which has onboard Raid1 or RAID0, but it's not recognised by ESXi. So I sucked it up and went HyperV.

that link you provided IS The correct place to confirm whether or not a specific device is compatible with ESX. However, as you can understand it's not really possible for them to give pricing guides on hardware - that's not VMware's business.

You need to identify a relevant piece of hardware, then speak to a vendor to buy it.
      Personally, I use StaticIce, but that's for Australian prices.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Unfortunately not all RAID cards are supported and as such even if you have RAID enabled it will not see the config. I was in the same situation as tehcamel using a Dell PowerEdge 1950 server where it would not see the SAS array i had setup but it did see both the drives.

What is the model number of your motherboard??