Need Info about VMware Tech

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Info about VMware Tech

i'm always use VMware 6 or 7 but now the bought a new server & ask me to install WMware but not on OS they said there's a VMware as OS & u can configure it & use it to make many Virtual machens is that what called VMware ESXi or what plz help me about that and at the end our company is medium not lager and need to use it for redundancy server in case the original one fail

Re: Need Info about VMware Tech

Best bet would be to hire a consultant and go over what you require from them.

To get you started though ESXi is the OS and acts as the hypervisor between the virtual machines and the hardware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMware_ESX

This is managed using the VMware vSphere Client and you can connect directly to the ESX host or install vSphere vCenter 5.

Your VM's are then created and added to the system, either in vCenter or directly on the ESXi host.

Please go to http://www.vmware.com for much, much more info.

Comment

Ok, so you need to run ESXi on 2 or more physical servers, some form of shared storage for your VMs, vCenter Server to manage the ESXi hosts, and to setup vMotion and HA to allow VM migration and failover.
      VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

thnx to both of u .... but i have one server want to install two OS On it

one will be DC & other for SQL and in the same time i have anther two psychical Servers one for the primary DC & SQL i case both of them fail i wanna the viral work that's what i need so my Question now can i install the VM EXSI 5 in one psychical Machine

Comment

Well, ESXi is the OS for the host server, so it's 1 ESXi installation per box. The installation is pretty straight-forward, provided you have your servername and network config info ready to go. Once that is completed, you'll need to access it by its IP address through a web browser. This will provide a link to the client download, through which you will configure your host server and set up your VMs.

That said, I'd go with wullieb1's suggestion and hire a consultant. If you aren't familiar with ESXi or vSphere, it's pretty different from VMware Workstation. Also, one thing that's changed with version 5 of ESXi and that is it requires a license. In previous versions, you could run ESXi as a standalone host for free. Now, however, they want money for even those.

Comment

thnx bro i already have a good background of it now

Comment

Originally posted by Bertmax View Post
              Also, one thing that's changed with version 5 of ESXi and that is it requires a license. In previous versions, you could run ESXi as a standalone host for free. Now, however, they want money for even those.
              That's not true, you can still use ESXi standalone for free...
              VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Working...
              X