No announcement yet.

Vmware workstation, old vmdk files

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vmware workstation, old vmdk files

I created my first VM last year and was using snapshots to back it up. Obviously I created a mess and my system quickly ran out of disk space.

Under virtual machine settings, it says I am using vmdk 4 as the disk file.

When I go the the VM folder, it has 4 vmdk files, listed 1-4. I guess each one was created from the snapshots and that vmdk #4 is live.

Vmdk 1 is 180GB in size the the other 2 are 22 and 43. Is it safe to shut down the virtual machine, and delete vmdks 1 through 3 and clear up some space?

Ive spen the morning searching through and investigating these forums to no avail. I am sure the answer is somewhere but figured I might have a little more luck simply posting.

Thank you for any help,

Re: Vmware workstation, old vmdk files

Delete all the snapshots in the Workstation UI, it will consolidate and then delete the files.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Re: Vmware workstation, old vmdk files

Here is the image showing which vmdk I am using

Here is an image showing what my VM folder looks like, you will notice vmdk 1-4 halfway down.

Please fix the urls, as I had to seperate them because I have not posted 5 times yet...

I deleted all snapshots months ago and the only thing showing in Snapshot Manager is a target with "you are here" written across it.

The research I have done tells me I should not delete the 1-3 files because they are still read from but can not be written to, so I am a little tentative, as this is a very important VM.

Is it still safe to delete them, as the above advice mentioned, or should I try to shrink them or...

Thanks for the time,