Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which option to organize the RAID to get highest performance in I/O ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which option to organize the RAID to get highest performance in I/O ?

Hi all,

I'm planning to take the IBM x3650M3 (6 cores CPU), add 8x300GB SAS 10krpm hard drive, 36GB of RAM to run on ESXi virtualization with an available Server x3200M3 (Quad Cores CPU, 17GB RAM, 1TB HDD).

I wonder know how to organize storage for optimization speed on x3650M3 ?

Option 1: Format 8 HDDs as RAID10, install ESXi 5 & store virtual machines on these 8 HDDs.
    Option 2: Format 2 first HDDs as RAID1, install ESXi 5, other 6 HDDs as RAID10, the virtual machines will be located on these 6 HDDs
    Option 3: Format 2 first HDDs as RAID1, install ESXi 5, format 3 x RAID 1 for the 6 remaining HDDs. The virtual machines will be located on each RAID1.

Also with which option for easy backup ?
    Thanks so much for sharing experience.

NPN
    Love in vain is better than love no one.

Re: Which option to organize the RAID to get highest performance in I/O ?

RAID 10 will giove you the best performance so option 1 for your storage and if possible install ESXi onto a USB key or SD Card.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      RAID 10 will giove you the best performance so option 1 for your storage and if possible install ESXi onto a USB key or SD Card.
      Thanks so much. For install ESXi onto a USB key or SD Card, you mean there's many I/O in ESXi while VMs running and have to separate ?

Comment

Not massive amounts of I/O for ESXi but it is best to keep the OS and storage seperate.

Comment

Not massive amounts of I/O for ESXi but it is best to keep the OS and storage seperate.
          I see. Thanks. Also, for performance issue, can you share which is the best stripe size I should format for RAID10 ?
          This storage will store MS SQL 2008 R2 + ERP Application so should be heavy I/O.
          Should I let the Stripe size is 1MB which is default for VMFS 5 ? I have confuse between the Stripe size in Host & Strip size in Guest so don't know what I should choose.

Comment

Originally posted by nguyennp View Post
            I see. Thanks. Also, for performance issue, can you share which is the best stripe size I should format for RAID10 ?
            This storage will store MS SQL 2008 R2 + ERP Application so should be heavy I/O.
            Should I let the Stripe size is 1MB which is default for VMFS 5 ? I have confuse between the Stripe size in Host & Strip size in Guest so don't know what I should choose.
            You can't set the block size on VMFS5 volumes from memory.

Please see this

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1003565

Specifically

VMFS-5 Size Limitations
            With VMFS-5 we use a unified 1MB block size but we address larger files then a VMFS-3 1MB block size due to enhancements to the VMFS file system (Therefore a 1MB VMFS-3 block size is not the same as a 1MB VMFS-5 block size when it comes to file sizes).

Comment

You can't set the block size on VMFS5 volumes from memory.

Please see this

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1003565

Specifically
              Hi, I mean the Stripe size when I configure the RAID before install ESXi 5 using IBM RAID Configure Wizard (built-in, not DVD Server Guide).

Comment

Sorry i've no idea what would be best having never used it.

Comment

If I were you I would use the first option since it is the one that we'll give you the best performance.....

Comment

Working...
                  X