ESX Cluster upgrade, 4.0 to 5.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESX Cluster upgrade, 4.0 to 5.0

OK, I have a cluster of 7 host servers running ESXi 4.0, hosting 117 guests, and I need to upgrade to 5.0. I've already upgraded my vCenter server and vSphere client, now I just need to do the cluster. I tried putting one host into maintenance mode (no problem), but it wouldn't allow me to upgrade the ESXi version while a part of the cluster.

Now, my plan is to remove a host from the cluster, upgrade it and add it back to the datacenter. This way I can migrate guests to it until I've freed up enough resources on the cluster to remove a second host and repeat this process, ultimately creating a new cluster (of course upgrading the tools and hardware as I migrate guests over).

So, my question is this: is there a less tedious way to do this, or am I on the right track?

Re: ESX Cluster upgrade, 4.0 to 5.0

Interesting... What's the error you get when trying to upgrade the host?
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

I went through this about 5 months ago and had no issues.

How are you doing the update??? I used Update Manager to update our servers 1 by 1.

Comment

Personally, besides the error, I would just reinstall one host at a time and add them to the cluster.
        Less hassle and with vMotion you can easily migrate the VMs.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by scott28tt View Post
          Interesting... What's the error you get when trying to upgrade the host?
          I'm not sure, it's been a couple weeks since the last time I was able to attempt this (district is going through turmoil, so they don't want to take any chances that anything will be offline, and my director is skeered). Should I be able to upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0 while it's still part of the cluster? I've read the two can co-exist, which is why I was surprised by the error.

And yes, I'm using the Update Manager. I created an upgrade baseline and pointed to the same image I used to upgrade our standalone, which I upgraded the same way.

Comment

Working...
          X