No announcement yet.

vCenter upgrade from 4.1 to 5 with Update 1

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vCenter upgrade from 4.1 to 5 with Update 1

I am doing a VMware upgrade. The current vCenter server is installed on a Windows 2008 R2 with SP1 server. When running the installer, I get a prompt with regards to it not being supported on the platform. See attachment. It is a Domain Controller and needs to remain on the Domain Controller. I know it is not recommended but needs to stay that way at the moment.

Does anyone know what I can do to allow the installation? Is Windows 2008R2 with SP1 supported for vCenter v5 with Update 1?
    Attached Files

Re: vCenter upgrade from 4.1 to 5 with Update 1

As far as i'm aware the host OS for your vCenter server should be installed on a Server 2008 R2 system minus the service pack.

I know of no way to trick the installer into thinking it is a different OS.

Is it feasible to remove the service pack install the software then reapply the service pack??

The reason that will not work, is because during the installation of vCenter an ADAM instance has to be installed, and from what I understand that is not possible. Imagine what will happen when something else starts to listen on port 389 on your domain controller - instead of AD

Deploy a new VM with a supported OS. If licensing is the issue - then you can try the vCenter virtual appliance which does not require a Windows license.

With all that aside - if it was done in the opposite order - i.e. vCenter first - then AD then maybe this could help you out.
      Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
      VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
      MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
      A proud husband and father of 3 girls
      If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Thanks for the advice and sorry for just posting back.

The vCenter server was Primary DNS server, DC with all FSMO roles, one of the DHCP servers and a DFS namespace server. In the end, I migrated all services to a newly promoted DC including the IP adress of the vCenter server. I changed its IP prior to demoting it as a DC. The IP address needed migrating as some services such as Cisco helper and Primary DNS was tied to it.

The vCenter upgrade was then a success.