RAID Advice on new server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAID Advice on new server

I have a brand new HP DL380 G7 with x2 Xeon 2.66Ghz processors, 32GB Ram & x5 1TB drives.

I intend to install VMware ESXi 5 and link this up to my vSphere environment.

Does anyone have any advise on what RAID would be the best option for performance but still with fail over.

As well as the x5 1TB drives I aldo have x2 150GB drives which I was unsure if I should add these. Would these decrease the size of the RAID?

Re: RAID Advice on new server

How many drive bays do you have??

I presume you are going to use the 1TB drives for onboard storage??

If it were me i'd investigate the possibility of installing ESXi on a SD Card (if possible) or a USB thumb drive.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=2004784

I would then setup a RAID 5 set with the 5 1TB drives giving 4TB of space. This of course will be dependant on what you are going to be using it for. RAID 10 while quick will only give you 2TB of space due to the nature of the RAID system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nested_RAID_levels

Comment

The plan is to user the x5 TB for VM storage and we may purchase as SAN later down the line if required.

The srever will be running an exchange VM, NAS VM & x2 phone server VM's.

We only have around x30 people in the office & 15 of them wont even be using any of these servers as they will be connected to a Citrix farm.

Comment

As said RAID 10 is quicker than RAID 5 but if you need the space then use RAID 5.

Definately investigate installing ESXi on a USB key. Should be quicker than installing on disk and will not then use the disks you want.

Comment

1 thing I would be VERY wary of..

I gather the drives you are using are SATA drives (1TB). You will have to take into account that the amount of I/O that you will be trying to push to these drives (Exchange, FS, Telephony) may be way over what they are able to provide.

Each SATA drive will give you ~80 IOPs and in with RAID 5 that will leave you with only 320 IOPs (4x80)

It all depends on the workload..
          Last edited by Maish; 27th April 2012, 09:01. Reason: typo
          Maish
          ----------------------------------------------------------
          Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
          VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
          MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
          A proud husband and father of 3 girls
          ----------------------------------------------------------
          If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

I have SAS (15K) drives not SATA,

Think the best solution for me is X2 different RAIDS

RAID 1 for the x2 150GB Drives (striped & mirrored)
            RAID 5 for the x5 1TB Drives

I spoke to a colleague and he said we needed the space more than the performance so that kinda devides it for me.

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Originally posted by Deland01 View Post
              I have SAS (15K) drives not SATA,

Think the best solution for me is X2 different RAIDS

RAID 1 for the x2 150GB Drives (striped & mirrored)
              RAID 5 for the x5 1TB Drives

I spoke to a colleague and he said we needed the space more than the performance so that kinda devides it for me.

Thanks for the help guys
              Now i'm lost.

Do you have the bay capacity to have the 7 drives you need installed??

BTW you won't have striped AND mirrored drives in a RAID 1 configuration.

RAID 1 is mirroring

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/...eLevel1-c.html

Personally if it were my system i'd implement the USB option and fill all of my drive bays with 1TB disks giving me loads of storage

Comment

Just to add to this.

Raid5 even though more storage, can cause issues. Look online for reasons why not to choose it.

I would go for a Raid10, even though you lose half of your storage capacity.

I would install ESXi on a USB, I do this frequently. Very handy.

I would then just use one single RAID, instead of multiple.

Please ensure you have a good backup method,

G.

Comment

Working...
                X