increasing disk size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• increasing disk size

We are running server 2003 VM (file server) and we need to increase the disk space on a data drive. The lun has been expanded and I have increased the size of the disk under edit settings.

Now under windows disk management how can I extend the drive. instead of adding another drive leter.

Re: increasing disk size

Please do not double post -- you have asked an identical question here:
    http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=59513

Can you see the free space in disk management?
    (can you post a screenshot please?)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Assuming you're using vmdk files for your virtual machine drives, first you have to grow the vmdk file to give the guest OS room to grow. Use 'vmkfstools' from a cmd line into your VMWare host thru Putty or other terminal program.

And assuming the guest OS is Windows, use DISKPART from a cmd line inside Windows. On-line help is available for both tools for the specific switches and syntax needed.

I've done it both ways without incident.
      *RicklesP*
      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

If you're unable to extend the volume from Disk Management, you can shutdown the VM, add the disk to another VM, extend it, remove it (but don't delete it), reboot the original VM, and Voila!

Comment

pic..

make it a primary partition or extended partition? Do I need to change it to dynamic
          Attached Files

Comment

I did a diskpart and it worked awesome.. so easy.. didnt have to change it to dynamic.. hopefully it doesnt take soo long on a 1tb drive.

Comment

Working...
            X