Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Proper Way to Remove an item from Inventory and the Datastore?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the Proper Way to Remove an item from Inventory and the Datastore?

Maybe my question is too simple. I searched the forum and did not find an answer.

What is the proper way to remove a vm and free up the allocated resources?

I am using VMware ESXi 4.0 and have a virtual server that I want to get rid of.
    When I right click on it there are two options: Remove from Inventory; and Delete from Disk.

I removed the vm from the inventory and would like to delete the files from the datastore but I am wondering if removing it from the datastore will automatically free up the resources allocated to that vm? Is there another process for freeing up the disk space and memory?

I apologize if this question has already been asked. The closest I could find was information on how to delete files from the datastore.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lori

Re: What is the Proper Way to Remove an item from Inventory and the Datastore?

ok. with regards memory (RAM)
    if the guest is not running, it's not using those resources, even if you have it assigned to thme.
    If you've removed it from the inventory, then any memory and cpu resources assigned to it would also have been removed.

With regard disk, if you just remove the host from the inventory, it obviously doesn't free up disk space.

So once you remove from inventory, and delete associated files, then it will have freed up th disk space too
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Delete from disk will remove it from the Inventory and remove the relevant files from the datastore.

Remove from Inventory

Delete from Disk

Comment

Thank you for the response.

Lori

Comment

Working...
        X