Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iSCSI Network vswitch Needed???

Hey all,

I'm trying to clean up our VMware environment at the moment and have a little question that i think i know the answer to but would like your opinion.

We have 4 ESXi5.0 hosts connected to a Dell/EMC CX4-120 SAN via a dedicated iSCSI HBA card.

When the system was origianlly setup, not by me but a consultant, in ESX3.5 he added an iSCSI vswitch to the networking of the ESX boxes but i have a feeling that I don't now need this due to using the iSCSI HBA.

What is your opinion on this???

Just for your information i have removed the iSCSI network vswitch, it wasn't setup as a vmkernel port, from the system and all my VM's are working perfectly, due to the fact that the iSCSI connection is running through the HBA.

Re: iSCSI Network vswitch Needed???

Hi Willy,

I think it depends on how your VM's are accessing the storage. Are they being accessed diretly from the guests or through VSphere?

Comment

I take it you have your iSCSI HBA's connected to a different vSwitch which in turn have the VMkernel ports attached to the vSwitch?

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Curious, do you use roundrobin on ISCSI and does your storage vendor supply plugins for it?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by superclive View Post
          Hi Willy,

I think it depends on how your VM's are accessing the storage. Are they being accessed diretly from the guests or through VSphere?
          All VM's are on the actual storage and do not have any direct access to the storage appliances.

vSphere is the only server that has direct access.

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
            I take it you have your iSCSI HBA's connected to a different vSwitch which in turn have the VMkernel ports attached to the vSwitch?

Michael
            No iSCSI vSwitches are on the system now.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
              Curious, do you use roundrobin on ISCSI and does your storage vendor supply plugins for it?
              Marcel,

No Round Robin on the iSCSI HBA's.

Comment

Working...
              X