VMware error opening vm's & Internet connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware error opening vm's & Internet connection

I've having an issue where my vm's won't open if I'm not connected to the Internet. I'm running Windows 2008 and I've got VMWare Server 2 on top of that. (It's probably not the best way to run it but I'm too far along to change right now).
    I want to be able to run my server and vms without having to run my home computer. And I want to be able to set static IPs in my vm's.

If I try to start a vm I get a pop-up,
    VMware Remote Console, Error opening the remote virtual machine t300:8333\208:An unexplained error occured.

Right now I have my home computer (wireless network) and sharing it's Internet connection via integrated nic to a switch which my server also connects to.
    If I have my vms set to bridged and the VMnet0 is bridged to the server nic that connects to the switch all works fine. If I shutdown my home computer and try to run my vms I get the error message above.
    I tried HostOnly same issue.
    If I try to setup a VMnet2 and set the IP to say some private IP network such as 172.16.0.0 and set the vms to use that network connection, i get the same pop-up.

If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it. I guess I'm not understanding how this vm network is supposed to work.
    Attached Files

Re: VMware error opening vm's & Internet connection

If your home PC is sharing it's internet connection, then it must be running to provide internet access to the VMs.

As for why you're getting that 'remote virtual machine' error when the internet isn't available, I've never seen that. Unless the ICS is again part of the problem--when it's down, the VMWare Remote Console can't 'see' the VMs.

Your problem is how your networking is set up, not the VMs themselves.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for response but your telling me something I kind of figured. I agree it's not the VM's themselves.

I guess what I'm getting at is Internet access is not required to run a VM in this environment is it? Shouldn't I be able to run VM's in an isolated network?

Right now I have my host server removed form the switch. I changed my vm's to run network adaptor VMnet2 (bridged) with Broadcom NIC set to static IP 176.16.0.1\16 in the Virtual Network Editor. It's working now but I'm not sure why. I had it set this way before and it didn't work, received that error I mentioned before.

Comment

By changing the switching, you've removed the blockage you had before: that when the PC was turned off, one of your network components needed for the VMs was missing. Since you've made the changes, that bottleneck isn't there any more.

VMs can have fixed or dynamic addresses just like physical PCs can--it all depends on what you're using them for which dictates your addressing methods. And all the VMs in one host can talk to each other through a virtual switch, assuming all the VMs are on the same subnet so a router isn't required. The only time you need to connect a virtual switch to a physical NIC in the host is to reach a real switch/router/what-have-you. And your home PC used to be that what-have-you. Now that your networking config has changed, so has the behavior.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X