Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Guest cannot mount CD-ROM from host or client device

Hi

I have a bit of an issue and was wondering if anyone can help.

I have a VM which was recent P2V from physical hardware. It is a SUSE linux VM and for some reason I am not able to mount either a CD-ROM drive from either my machine or from the ESX host where the VM is sitting on.

As its SUSE I have gone into Yast and checked the hardware information and it does show a cd-rom with VMware as the vendor so I am assuming that the OS can see a cd-rom drive but for what ever reason the cd-rom cannot be seen when I mount.

I have checked on the settings for the VM and ensured the device status is set to connected and connect at power on. I have tried client device, host device and even an ISO but when I ssh to the os I cannot see the CD-Rom or any of its files.

Does anyone know what could be wrong. I have created brand new linux OS before but never had an issue, I am think maybe because its a P2V and I need to make some adjustments. I have also installed the Vmware tools on this VM successfully.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Linux Guest cannot mount CD-ROM from host or client device

not sure how to fix your problem because iam not using this feature rly but as a good "workaround" why dont you make an ISO from your dvd and upload it to the datastore...

Comment

have you tried actually mounting the cdrom ? maybe it won't automount... ?
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        have you tried actually mounting the cdrom ? maybe it won't automount... ?
        I would agree.

Try this:
        Code:
        mkdir /tmp/cd
        mount /dev/cdrom /tmp/cd
        You could also try mount /dev/hda

This most probably an issue with automount
        Maish
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Working...
        X