Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help on Virtualizing 150 phsical servers

HI ,

We are planing for virtualizing 150 physical servers.Can some one help me on planing ,what are the Precautions i have to take care.

regards
    Surya

Re: Need Help on Virtualizing 150 phsical servers

Get a consultant!

(Seriously, there is so much involved, and so much information you need to give, that anything you get here is going to be too vague to be of any use)
    Start the planning process by documenting your current estate very well:
    Server specs, roles, storage requirements
    Network design / sites etc.
    Anticipated future requirements.
    SLAs and availability requirements....
    (Add endless list here)

Then get advice on the best virtualisation platform (VMWare is not the only option), make a decision and then get a qualified consultant to help you plan and perform the work
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

My colleague and me are currently in the process to make an advice for a virtual environment of 900+ VM's, stretched across 2 datacenters. We would advice VMware in this case and it takes quite some effort.

Seriously, if you got any doubts, hire a consultant to help you out.
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I often say that if you are prepared to have a go, do a thorough research and planning and if the circumstances in your company allow, there is no harm on having a go yourself.
        However on this instance I have to agree in getting a consultant. (some vendors will offer that as an add on service)
        There are loads of Performance, Storage and other pitfalls you need to account for.
        As a solution though I woud +1 for Vmware
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
        X