Powerdown VM's before power outage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powerdown VM's before power outage

I am looking for suggestions on powering down my VM hosts before my UPS gets drained during a power outage.

I have a physical server with the APC plugged in (no APC network card support) and the Powerchute software installed, two ESXi 4.0 hosts and lots of Windows 2008 guests.

Powering down the guests isn't the problem because my UPS can issue a CMD file to shut them down, and powering down the physical server will happen because the UPS is plugged into it.

I am looking for a way to power down the VM hosts. I've seen a lot of VM powershell commands but I assume that would have to be run on one of the hosts? I do have a virtualized vCenter server, is there any way to utilize that for the shutdown?

I thank you and my network thanks you!

Re: Powerdown VM's before power outage

Try this

http://www.deobfuscate.net/?p=633

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I don't have an APC network card currently installed, but this sounds like it may be the best solution for what I do have.

Another question, my APC is plugged into a physical Windows 2008 R2 server, so can the APC network software can be configured to shut down the two ESX servers as the article mentions even though they are two different physical servers?

Comment

If you can script something that your 2008 box can send via ssh then you should be able to yes.

Comment

Working...
        X