P2V for Exchange 2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P2V for Exchange 2010

Has anyone done a P2V for Exchange 2010? If so, please provide some guidance if you can. I have an assignment to convert some exchange 2010 servers to VSphere, and I have never done that. I have built exchange 2010 servers directly into HyperV.

Re: P2V for Exchange 2010

I have never done one before but I wuld have thought it would be best to have them all powered off whilst performing it, if it is even advisable to P2V Exchange 2010.

Comment

So far all I know is that yes, the databases need to be dismounted before doing the conversion. I was hoping to find more info on the process. Or at least hear from someone that has actually done it.

Comment

Exchange 2010 is quite happy in a virtual environment (except the UM role) so should be no problems converting it. Concur better to switch it off first.

If you are not sure, how about building a new Exchange box (virtual) and migrating mailboxes etc over. Only issue might be with CAS certificates
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Seems like this guy "Netanel Ben-Shushan" has done it there is a link of PDF containing the instructions if its ok to post links lemme know i will post it

Comment

AlphaZeirus,

Yes post the links please.

Comment

Physical Exchange Server to Virtual Environment

Although the document mostly covers Exchange Server 2007 and 2003, the guidelines will apply to Exchange Server 2010 as well. The document covers virtual environments running on both VMware vSphere 4.1 and Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 with the Hyper-V role.

Comment

Brilliant.

Thanks for your contribution it is appreciated.

Comment

With Pleasure

Comment

Working...
                  X