VMware ESXi 5.0 VHD Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware ESXi 5.0 VHD Question

I am looking to upgrade my servers to all be Server 2008 R2 (currently they are all Server 2008 x64). I have been deciding to upgrade them by spinning up a new box and then to a transfer from the 2008 to the 2008R2 however I have a file server with 32 drives all setup in a single spanned drive. I do not have enough hard drive space to spin up a new server with that much space so I wasn't sure if I should try an OS upgrade or if I could spin up a new box and then assign the hard drives to the new box (and not lose data hopefully).

Re: VMware ESXi 5.0 VHD Question

How are your drives setup at the moment???

You could potentially, if you have them all as seperate disks, add and exisitng disk to the VM.

Comment

They are setup as a single 7.6 tb spanned drive, handled by the OS, and after some more research it looks like my best bet is to upgrade the OS as it doesn't really doesn't do anything except host files on an ntfs drive with ntfs permissions. If anybody has any other suggestions please let me know as I am unable to backup all that data at this time.

Comment

Yes but how are they deignated on the VM???

Are they RDM's or VMDK files???

Attach RDM to VM

http://www.vmadmin.co.uk/vmware/35-esxserver/58-rdmvm

Or if they are VMDK files you could attach an already configured disk.

More info on disk types

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws45/d...config_ws.html

BTW you should NEVER get to a stage where you cannot backup data. You should always be able to get it moved to tape then restore. Long a labourious but works.

Comment

Sorry they are VMDKs. As for the backup this server runs my house so the majority of the data is TV shows from my DVR and other various files. My current solution is the Raid 5 with a hot spare (and a 9th drive just waiting for an issue). I do have the data that is important such as documents and other files backed up on an external drive. So I do have a backup but the overhead from TV shows would be to great as the last time I looked they were at around 3tb in total.

Comment

You can add the drives to a current VM and that should allow you to see the drives.

http://blog.laksha.net/2009/10/how-t...ine-using.html

That is using workstation but is very similar to ESXi.

Comment

Actually scrub that as they are spanned drive inside the current OS i presume???

Comment

Working...
              X