Studying for the VCP5 exam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studying for the VCP5 exam

I added a new post to my VMware Training & Certification blog last night, some comment and many links to help with anyone preparing for the VCP5 exam:

http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com/2...vcp5-exam.html

Get in touch if there's anything else that you think is useful for people to know and I'll consider it for inclusion.

Cheers,
    Scott.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Re: Studying for the VCP5 exam

The biggest thing that I think a lot of training material out is missing, are the labs/handson material. I took the VMware ICM 4.1 class and the books that we used during the class were ok, but thats just it they were just ok. They were the best handson labs I've seen so far.
    I cant speak for everyone, but I like to read material that is good in detail and has labs to help re-enforce what I read in the chapter. Head first books do a great job explaining the material but they also have a great section for labs to help you learn what you read. That isnt meant to be a plug for Head first but more of an explain of the way I wish I could find for VMware products.
    A person could very well pass the VCP exam with very little experience. That could be why I cant find the kind of books I am looking for because there is very little money in it. What do you think?
    Last edited by wullieb1; 24th November 2011, 04:05. Reason: Resized text

Comment

Thanks for the info Scott.

I'm doing the vSphere 5 ICM course at teh moment and it is very similar to the 4.1 ICM i done last year.

Randy,

I resized your text to make it more readable. No other editing was done.

Have you ever sat the exam for vSphere?? I sat it last year and i would say that the exam was one of the hardest i'd ever sat. I studied for around a month and still failed as i didn't have the required experience to competently manage the systems in place. It also expects you to have knowledge of other tools and products in the vSphere arsenal.

Comment

I've got my VCP5 exam on Monday

I've been using vSphere in my lab for well over a month now and literally gone through pretty much everything including the new Web Client and vCenter Virtual Appliance. P.S. Storage DRS rocks!!!
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk
        MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I have sat the vsphere 4.1 exam and passed my first try. I dont feel it required and experience because it was all the abscure knowledge that you would look up if you ever had a question. I've been told the VCAP is different, it requires experience since its a four exam of setup and troubleshooting problems.

The biggest thing that I think a lot of training material out is missing, are the labs/handson material. I took the VMware ICM 4.1 class and the books that we used during the class were ok, but thats just it they were just ok. They were the best handson labs I've seen so far.
          I cant speak for everyone, but I like to read material that is good in detail and has labs to help re-enforce what I read in the chapter. Head first books do a great job explaining the material but they also have a great section for labs to help you learn what you read. That isnt meant to be a plug for Head first but more of an explain of the way I wish I could find for VMware products.
          A person could very well pass the VCP exam with very little experience. That could be why I cant find the kind of books I am looking for because there is very little money in it. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by randywhite30 View Post
            I have sat the vsphere 4.1 exam and passed my first try. I dont feel it required and experience because it was all the abscure knowledge that you would look up if you ever had a question. I've been told the VCAP is different, it requires experience since its a four exam of setup and troubleshooting problems.
            The VCAP4-DCA exam is definitely one to separate the experienced from the non-experienced - it takes most people months of preparation and can only really be passed with a lot of knowledge, hands-on experience, and a deep understanding of both the software and underlying hardware concepts.

I took the VCP5 exam last week, and it's definitely been toughened up compared to VCP4 and VCP3 exams.
            VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
              I've got my VCP5 exam on Monday

I've been using vSphere in my lab for well over a month now and literally gone through pretty much everything including the new Web Client and vCenter Virtual Appliance. P.S. Storage DRS rocks!!!
              Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by randywhite30 View Post
                Congrats on passing first time.

I personally don't think i put enough effort into the exam and didn't study enough for it.

It was still a hard exam IMO.

Comment

Working...
                X