Esxi 4.1 high host memory

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esxi 4.1 high host memory

Let me start by saying the two esxi servers are identical 4 gigs single ddr, (1) dual core AMD Opteron Processor 175 manufacturer tylan computer corp model S2865. On one machine we are running (2) vm's 2003 sbs and vm data recovery on the other we have (3) machines running xp 64 bit, 2003 server, and xp 32bit, memory usage on all vm's seem ok at times memory is high but this is to be expected. Were there seems to be an issue is that both host have memory usage in the range of 85%-95% even at low usage times. Are there any tweeks that can be applied to control esxi memory consumption and yes vm tools are installed on all vm's any suggestions woould be greatly apperciated thank you

Re: Esxi 4.1 high host memory

how much memory is assigned to each guest on each host?
    Are you over-committing physical memory ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

A little bit the host with data recovery is 2 gigs by default the sbs is also at 2 gigs. On the other host the 2003 server has 1 gig, xp 64 bit which is venter needs 3 gigs min and xp 32 bit is at 1gig as I said these machines do not use alot of the memory that alocated for them but the host usage overall seems rather high on both. Thanks

Comment

ok. SBS by default, uses as much memory as it can... and 2GB is very low for SBS.
        So with your sbs, and your recovery host on one, I assume you're using close to 3GB of actual physical ram.

On your second host, you are overcommitting by 25%.
        (3+1+1)

so it doesn't surprise me to see 75% of physical memory in use..

remember that ESXi needs physical memory in it's own right, just to run the hypervisor..
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
        X