Connect two or more VM to internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect two or more VM to internet

I created a test lab by following this instruction on Petri "How To Create A Network Test Lab With VMware"

So I got my 2 vm connected and can see each other on private network.

My question is how to have this 2 windows xp vm connect to internet?

I tried to updated the VMnet1 gateway and dns to point to my router but still cannot connect to internet.

Thanks

Re: Connect two or more VM to internet

what is your VMNet set to ?
    It needs to be either "Bridged" or.. uhm.. the other sort
    let me look

well.. that was quick research.
    vmnet adaptors have several types:
    Bridged, NAT, HostOnly.

HostOnly will allow allow the guests to talk to each other, and the host.
    NAT Will 'NAT" your connection onto the normal network. (So it will appear as coming from your host, not as the guest themselves)
    Bridged will present a standard network connection to your guests.

Does this help ?
    Last edited by tehcamel; 13th September 2011, 13:24.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

basically i just followed this instruction
      Code:
      petri.co.il/virtual_create_network_testlab_vmware.htm
      from what i understand this will create private network between two or more vm using the "host only"

from this setup it doesn't say about connecting the private network on internet, so i want to know if its possible to connect the 2 vm using "host only" to have internet.

Comment

I already manage to put internet in my virtual private network lab environment using the Host-only

What i did are the following:

1. From VMware go to Virtual Network Editor > Select VMNet1 > Disable the DHCP service

2. From the host PC go to Network Connections > Open the VMnet1 properties > set the TCP/IP to obtain automatically

3. From the host PC Network Connections select the LAN that is connected to internet > go to properties > Advance Tab > Under "Internet Connection Sharing" tick "Allow other network user to connect through this computer Internet Connection" > Select the VMnet1

4. Power On your Vm's then you now be able to connect to internet.

Comment

basically.. what you did, is a long winded way of changing the network from type "HostOnly" to "NAT" mode.

but cheers for providing us with feedback
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X