Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VM on Windows 7

Hi Guys,

Im planning to install Server 2008 in my PC that has Windows 7 ulitmate. What version of VMware should I install? If you have better suggestion please do share. I will create a Domain for testing purposes. Please delete this thread if similar topic has been discussed.

Thanks
    Ronuel
    MCP
    There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Re: VM on Windows 7

Is it 32 or 64 bit Win7?
    (and which version of Server 2008 do you want to install -- remembering 2008R2 is 64 bit only)
    Either way, you have an option of Windows XP Mode (=Microsoft Virtual PC) which will, IIRC, run 32 bit OSes only
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian

Its 32 bit. Im planning to install 2008 Standard x86. I actually want to install VM ware because I dont have experience in it. What version should I install.
      Ronuel
      MCP

Comment

If your just starting then install VMware Server which is free.

Your also not limited to VMware either as there are plenty of free programs that will do the same job as VMware.

If your happy to pay then i would recommend VMware Workstation. I use that for work purposes and it does everything i need it to.

Comment

Hi Wullie,

VM Workstation works well for me, I already install the server and a client no hassle at all. Thanks for the Help you guys.. +1

FYI:
          To those with Windows 7 ultimate 32bit who wants a home/mini lab. You may use VM Workstation. Im using workstation 8 and had no problem installing it. Right now I have Windows server 2008 Stndard x86 and Windows XP Pro 32bit installed and works well.
          Ronuel
          MCP

Comment

Working...
          X