VMware - Connecting 2 virtual PCs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware - Connecting 2 virtual PCs

I've just had 2 new virtual machine set-up in VMware player 1st being Windows Server 2003 & 2nd being Windows XP Professional. I'd like to establish connection between these 2 virtual machines.

I've tried Remote Desktop between both but it doesn't work. I've set-up Server 2003 as a domain controller (contoso.com) and tried to get XP Prof to join the domain contoso.com but it says domain controller couldn't be found.

I've followed the instruction here but to no avail:

http://www.vmware.com/support/ws5/do...rial_2vms.html

Can anyone please help me establish connection between these 2?

Re: VMware

The instructions are for using virtual serial ports -- you need networking

Can you make sure both VMs are connected to the same network (physical or virtual) and post an IPCONFIG/ALL from each of them

You should deploy the DHCP role on the DC and get the client to pick up an IP from that -- it will need the DC as its DNS server to correctly locate the SRV records needed for domain join
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: VMware - Connecting 2 virtual PCs

j4mes, I am not sure about vmplayer as I use VM Workstation ... In Workstation you have different networks like bridging // internal vm networks like v2 - v3 and so on ..... check to make sure that these machines are on the same vm network.

If yes then follow as Tom said ....

Comment

Ossian, thanks for your time and reply.

I've now removed "Serial Port". In Network Adapter, I've "NAT" (NAT: used to share the host's IP address) settings for both the guest OS i.e. Server 2003 and XP Pro.

I've attached Server 2003's IPCONFIG /ALL result. This shows: DHCP is disabled (DHCP Enabled ......... No), however, in the "Services" for this virtual PC, I'd actually see DHCP server & DHCP client as "Started"?

I've attached XP Pro's IPCONFIG /ALL result, as well. This shoes DHCP as enabled.

Amazingly, just as I was typing this message, I tried to connect to my main laptop (host laptop) by RDC from Server 2003, which didn't work, however, when I tried to connect to my host laptop (XP Pro) by RDC from Guest PC (XP Pro, as well) and it works.

I've attached 3 different machines IPCONFIG /ALL i.e. my main laptop's (Host PC?), Guest PC - Server 2003 & another Guest PC - XP Pro.

I therefore feel & as you pointed out that may be in Server 2003, the DHCP being disabled is causing this problem? However, in this virtual guest PC, in the "Services", I'd actually see DHCP client & DHCP server already says "Started".

Please do point me in the right direction. Thanks.
        Attached Files

Comment

OK, your Guest XP is in a totally different subnet to both the others (192.168.204.x vs 192.168.0.x) so it will never see them

The host has DNS servers in a different subnet so is unlikely to get internet access, while the Guest Server has no gateway set up

How does the guest get internet access?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Since you mentioned, I tried accessing Internet. Guest Server 2003 cannot connect to Internet & doesn't even show "wireless network" in Device Manager.

Ideally, I'd have wanted this guest Server 2003 to connect to Internet through the router upstairs, which is how I get wireless connectivity to my host laptop, as well. When I try pinging www.yahoo.co.uk, it says "ping request couldn't find host www.yahoo.co.uk".

Could this be because guest Server 2003 is set-up as DHCP server? and hence not getting IP address directly from the router upstairs (which should've been the DHCP server?). I've uninstalled DHCP server but the problem still continues. I don't know why does it say DHCP is not enabled in guest Server 2003?

In guest Windows XP, Internet works OK though. Even though you mentioned that guest XP's on different subnet as to host XP, it is able to connect to Internet.

One more thing I've noticed is that I'd do RDP from my host laptop (XP) to guest XP using ipaddress (but not by typing the actual DNS name). Similarly, I'd also do RDP from my guest XP to host laptop using BOTH the IP address & DNS name.

I'd like to do RDP to and from guest Server 2003 & be able to use Internet on host server 2003.

Comment

j4mes, I am not sure about vmplayer as I use VM Workstation ... In Workstation you have different networks like bridging // internal vm networks like v2 - v3 and so on ..... check to make sure that these machines are on the same vm network.

If yes then follow as Tom said ....
              This is correct, in Vmware workstation you can edit the VM settings, then go to network Adapter, and use a bridged connection directly to the Physical network, which is the best if you want other computer or VM to access that VM via network, or make a custom Bridge.

Custom bridge is good if you have more than one network adapter (wired or wireless) On my laptop, I use my VM to use the wireless, except if I'm testing a Windows server.

Like Ossian said, your 2 VM need to has the same range IP. If you put your VM to bridge connection, it will get it's own IP address within the IP range of your DHCP. Also, let your router be the DHCP, instead, you will need to disable it if you want the 2003 to be the DHCP server, and set it correctly.

BTW I'm on WM Workstation 7.
              Last edited by ChristTheGreat; 3rd August 2011, 21:38.

Comment

I don't wish to use Server 2003 as DHCP server & hence have uninstalled DHCP server from Server 2003. I'd like to use the router itself to act as DHCP server.

Currently, I'm using NAT setting for both guest Server 2003 and guest XP. There's an option of "Bridged" but am not sure whether it's what I'd be using to establish network connectivity between guest Server 2003 and host XP.

I think in guest server 2003, in the IPCONFIG /ALL, it says that DHCP is not enabled and I wondered if I'd somehow get DHCP enabled then it'd possibly solve my problem. However, I don't know how to enable it. In the "Services" in guest server 2003, it does say DHCP is "started".

Do you think I won't be able to achieve my aim through VMware Player and should instead use VMware workstation?

Comment

Right OK. Finally, I'd heave a sigh of relief.

It all appears to be working OK now. I'd to go to "Properties" of LAN and for TCP/IP, I'd to select "Obtain an IP address automatically". When I then did IPCONFIG /ALL in guest server 2003, I'd actually see DHCP being enabled (as per the screenshot) and in the same subnet as my host XP & guest XP.

I'd now do the RDP to and from guest server 2003 and can also connect guest XP or host XP to "contoso" domain in guest 2003 domain.

This all appears to be working OK and should allow me to work on my exercises for Server 2003.

Thanks for all your time, help & effort. I greatly appreciate it.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by j4mes_bond25; 4th August 2011, 21:47.

Comment

Working...
                  X