Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• support for virtual sound cards or any sound cards at all in ESXi

Hello all,
    As you may have already or always known when I joined this board, I'm a blind individual who is trying to find a place in the system admin world. I am currently interning at my college doing training and system administration. They have lots and lots of ESXi servers there, so what I need to know is if there is a way to make ESXi allow the guest operating systems running on top of it to have sound either by virtual or physical means. I just need to know if this field has any hope in it for me knowing that companies are going virtual these days. And if i don't have sound, then I don't have a place in this field. Thanks for any advice you may have.

Chromebuster

Re: support for virtual sound cards or any sound cards at all in ESXi

I'm not aware of the capability of having sound in ESXi. Which version are we talking about in particular???

ESX3.5u5 definately can't as i don't get the option to install a card when creating a VM. This could be dependant on whether the system has audio drivers installed though.

You can have sound via RDP in Windows which is installed in ESXi as far as i'm aware. I don't have any XP systems installed on my ESXi boxes so can't say for definate whether they are.

Comment

I'm referring to the latest version of ESXi. I think it's version 4.something. I'm not too sure. Now I know it seems silly for a server to have sound enabled, but when our eyes fail us, what else do we have? Companies don't think of blind admins, do they? LOL. And I'm talking about virtualized installations of Server 2008 R2, not XP. I have to have sounds on server OS's as well.

Comment

I've logged into our local ESX4.1u1 boxes here and i don't get an option to install a soundcard on any server i have as a VM.

As mentioned though it may be dependant on whether there is audio hardware installed on the ESXi host and that that drivers are installed.

This might be worth a read/listen

http://blog.peacon.co.uk/wiki/ESXi_4...es#Sound_Cards

Comment

The blog post was very helpful. Thanks. What stinks is that the sound can't be internal. I'll check with my boss and see if the version of ESXi he uses is 4.1.

Comment

Don't take that list as a definitive list of supported cards.

Might be worthwhile going to the VMware forums and asking there if there is anything internal that has been tested or even have a read through the HCL and seeing if there is anything there.

Comment

I really wish I could just go over there and ask them. A friend of the family works for VMware though, so I'll talk to him. The real issue though isn't whether the program supports sound cards anymore though. Even if it did, it doesn't matter until screen reader manufacturers shape up and decide that it's time to get with it and support the latest technologies. Freedom Scientific, the company who makes JAWS for Windows, they don't even support JAWS running on a virtualized OS unless the virtualization takes place on top of another OS rather than on a Hypervisor layer. I'm going to be on them about that, for if they don't hurry up, it could cost the blind community some good opportunities in the job market. But thanks for the links.

Comment

No worries.

Best of luck with it.

Comment

Working...
                X