• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hd size erorr after converting from p2v

The disk provisioned size value error after converting from p2v

Re: hd size erorr after converting from p2v

More detail needed please
    Is this the entire text of the error or is there more?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

After converting from p2v I click edit menu and click on the hard disk I see the size 58.323212123 GB but the real size 58 GB only.
      this problem after convert by Vcenter converter standalone client trying both options thick or thin.
      And win I try to move the VM to another datastorage it show me the following error massage : ( no enough space ) while the anther storage has more than enough space to move

Comment

ok. so you had a 58GB volume on the physical machine.
        You have converted it to a virtual guest, and it now shows 58.3232323GB in size when you check.

the important question here is, does it cause problems with the guest?
        Does the guest run ? because.. if it does.... I think you need not be concerned
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

yes I'm concerned and win i look to the disk management see the new Unallocated space 16MB this problem always happen after converted from p2v

Comment

don't need to worry, unless it's causing a problem
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I would definately fix the issue as you will quickly need the ability to move the VM (HA, maint,etc.) and if the partition size is stopping you it is easy enough to fix. If you are running one Host and never plan to change you might be safe, but why not fix a problem now?

Couple thoughts:
              Run p2v again and change the Hard drive size to something larger (60GB or more). Win 2003 and earlier can use something like partition magic to extend, 2008+ can do this natively.

If the original machine is gone now you can do a p2v against a VM or you can find a image tool to help resize it. (I have not done this, but a quick google search implies it can be done)

Best of luck and let us know if you solved it.

Hobie

Comment

Working...
              X