Accessing a .vmx using VMware Player

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing a .vmx using VMware Player

I've got some old .vmx file backups of a WMware Server SourceForge installation from 2008. I'm trying to access SourceForge the way that I used to. I've installed VMware Player (not Server) and opened the .vmx files. I entered the username and password, answered no to skip the config since it's already configured and then it dropped me off at a command prompt.

When we had a physical office, as long as the VMware server instance of SourceForge was running I used to be able to open a web browser and go to the URL, 192.168.10.98 and it would bring me to the SourceForge login page. Now I'm just trying to access it at home on my laptop with IP 192.168.1.100. How can I get my laptop to recognize the 192.168.10.98 IP address so that I can get to the same SourceForge login page?

Can someone please assist me and let me know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

Re: Accessing a .vmx using VMware Player

How about changing the subnet mask on your laptop from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll try that next time I can get my hands on the external hard drive that has the .vmx. The boss took it with him when he left my house. I was thinking it might work if I ran the VMware config and change the IP of the SourceForge VM to 192.168.1.xxx to match my laptop. Do you think that would work?

Comment

As a guess, yes, but I'm not a VMWare person
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I changed the subnet information and I can get to the main SourceForge page where I can click "Launch SourceForge" now but I'm getting an error that says "[Exception in:/common/jsp/menus/top.jsp] Unable to render widget"

I read in a forum somewhere that this may be a VMware Player issue so I'm going to try VMware Server. I'll post back with the results after I try it.

Comment

Changing the subnet to 255.255.0.0 fixed the problem. I thought at first that I could leave the subnet alone and just change the SourceForge static IP address to be in the same range as my laptop IP but that didn't work.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Glad you fixed it!
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Working...
              X