X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMWare ESXi VMFS Recovery

Hi All,

I need urgent help on thi.

I have a HP Proliant G6 Server and i have installed ESXi 4.0 Server on it which i updated to ESXi 4.1.

Installed it on a 500GB HDD and created a Data store to install VMs on the same.

Everything looked fine and then it started to run slow. so i thought i would move to Hyper V.

When copying the VM HDDs i took ages and just sat down.
    so i took off the HDD and then connected it to another computer with it as a slave.

windows 7 showed me all the partitions besides the data store of the HDD
    which can be seen in computer management but cannot be read or mounted.

now i tried to install vmware esxi on anohter server and connect the old hdd to the new server. it shows me the HDD but when i try to add a new storage it asks to format the old HDD which i cannot as it has all my old data in it.

how do i add this as a new storage or recover all my data.

please help me

thank you in advance.

Re: VMWare ESXi VMFS Recovery

If necessary, baremetal restore the guest OSes to new VMs from your backups.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

i do not have backups

Comment

How about putting the HDD back in the original machine and see if it will boot and if the guests are OK? If so, then do your copy and be patient.

Comment

tried that too

still no result
          also used ubuntu to mount it using vmfs-tools

it mounts but doesnt display the files

no idea what to do any moer

Comment

Originally posted by Ruevin View Post
            i do not have backups
            this is likely to be a very, very expensive lesson as to why backups are important.

step1. ring a data recovery company.
            step 2. Pay whatever is necessary, to recover your data.
            step 3. Plan and implement an appropriate backup solution for future

folr the record - Windows platforms might SEE that a Vmware partition exists, but it will not be able to read it.
            This is normal and acceptable and reasonable. For the same reason that you cannot see a MacOS partition, or a liniux EXT3 partition natively on a windows platform.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Very expensive lesson about to be learnt here.

As far as i'm aware there is no tool available for Win 7 that will allow you to read a VMFS partition. ESX/ESXi is the only OS that can.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruevin View Post
                i do not have backups
                Start afresh then - presumably the data was of no importance if it wasn't backed up.
                Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Hi, it looks like your VMFS datastore got re-signatured by Windows 7 when you mounted it there, so VMware host can no longer recognize this. All data should still be there.

I cannot post URLs on this stupid forum because it requires 5 posts, so instead please Google for "yellow bricks automount" and you will find the resolution in the top result.

Comment

Originally posted by anvigos View Post
                    I cannot post URLs on this stupid forum because it requires 5 posts, so instead please Google for "yellow bricks automount" and you will find the resolution in the top result.
                    So you suggest we allow links from users with less than 5 posts and can immediately spam the forums???

Originally posted by anvigos View Post
                    Hi, it looks like your VMFS datastore got re-signatured by Windows 7 when you mounted it there, so VMware host can no longer recognize this. All data should still be there.
                    In response to your other relevant comments nice find. I never knew about that so thanks.

And for the OP's benefit here is the actual link

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2008/02...able-what-now/

Comment

i just have the VMFS volume now and the other 2 partitions are empty
                      how can i extract data from there

i have tried ubunto with vmfs-tools

any tools to mount the vmfs volume and extract data?

please help

Comment

Working...
                      X