Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resizing/extending windows 2003 c partition

Hi experts,

We are running serveral server 2003 machines within VMware esx. I would like to make the c drive larger on a couple of machines.

I have read all kinds of posts on this subject... could anyone explain how i do this (the easiest way) some say diskpart others have stated it didn't work some say vmware converter others say didnt work...

Any guidance would be great... Thanks again to everyone on Petri !
    Benjapos

MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 ITIL Practitioner, Prince2 Practitioner - working on 70-284

Re: resizing/extending windows 2003 c partition

I like the gparted live cd to modify the partition of a 2003 server.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
    gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

We actually use the Dell Extpart tool to do this on official VMware courses:
      http://support.dell.com/support/down...2&fileid=83929

Scott.
      VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

+1 for Extpart
        Maish
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
        ----------------------------------------------------------
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Great thank you. I have two questions(probably stupid)

Were using hp kit, will expart work on this to make a system partition larger
          Does anyone know of a good step by step guide to walk me through this process ?

Thank you again for your help
          Benjapos

MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 ITIL Practitioner, Prince2 Practitioner - working on 70-284

Comment

Extpart works on basic disks, the host hardware is irrelevant as you're running the tool inside a VMware VM.

The .TXT file gives an example of how to use it, but say you wanted to make your C: drive larger by 4GB:

1. Increase the size of the .VMDK file by 4GB
            2. Run the following command: extpart c: 4096

Scott.
            VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Thank you scott28tt.

The disk is a dynamic... does that mean i can't use extpart... ?
              Benjapos

Comment

Another one of the machines is a basic disk... when i back up... i presume i only need to copy the vmdk file corresponding to the C partition... are there any other files i should backup... ?

The whole server is 500gb... so ideally backing up only the c partition i am changing would be perfect...

Thanks again for all your help
                Benjapos

Comment

Hey, guys!
                  Why bother so much, try some partition management tool to help extend server system partition...
                  I happened read this article, might help..
                  Last edited by biggles77; 25th August 2011, 16:13. Reason: Removed SPAM "link"

Comment

nice first post there..

Extpart, and gpartedLive, are both partitioning tools..

What's more, they are fairly native tools, and are free. Compared to things like Easus Partition magic, which costs a fortune for server (despite doin basiocally the same thing)
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

To add to the knowledge, in the past i have used Acronis Disk Director Server

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/pr...ver/index.html

quite a good tool and user interface for resizing disks.
                      Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                      I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                      MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjapos View Post
                        Hi experts,

We are running serveral server 2003 machines within VMware esx. I would like to make the c drive larger on a couple of machines.

I have read all kinds of posts on this subject... could anyone explain how i do this (the easiest way) some say diskpart others have stated it didn't work some say vmware converter others say didnt work...

Any guidance would be great... Thanks again to everyone on Petri !
                        Hi

First you need to extend the Virtual Disk in the ESX side, then you need to extend on Windows side.

ESX side:

Here you can just edit the settings on the VM and in the Virtual Disk change the size of the Virtual Disk.

Before increasing the size of the virtual disk:
                        1. All snapshots have been removed.
                        2. The virtual machine is powered off.
                        3. Virtual Disks are all SCSI(you will not able to extend IDE disks)

1 - Snapshots:
                        If you do not want delete the snapshots, or not able to, you can use the Vmware vConverter to change the size of a Virtual Disk.
                        Also you can change IDE to SCSI disk type using vConverter.

After you change this on the ESX side, you need to change on the Windows Side.

When you enter in the Windows in the Disk Manager, you will see a new partition on the disk/drive that you choose to extend om ESX.

Here it depends on the Windows Version. Windows 2008, Windows 7 and Windows Vista, can extend automatically the new partition into the new size. No need for any extra tools, just in the Disk Manager click on the partition and choose extend.

For Windows XP or 2000/2003, we need to use the command line and use the command Diskpart.exe, or use a 3trd party Partition Tools.

Using a third party tools is easy. You can use the more popular, Gparted-Live Boot or Partition MAgic. Both work very good and very easy to use.

For this step you need to boot your Virtual Machine with a 3trd party Partition Tools ISO.
                        On Virtual Machine, Choose Edit Settings, then choose 3trd party Partition Tools ISO and boot your VM with the 3trd party Partition Tools.

But for other 3trd party tools check VMware KB recommendations
                        Using Diskpart:

To use Diskpart command, we can only extend Data partitions. We cannot extend boot/primary partitions. Is not possible to extend boot partitions with Diskpart.

You cannot use Diskpart on disks that have the system page file on the same partition. You need to use a 3trd parties Partition Tools to extend the disk, or you need to migrate the system page file to another partition that you are not extending.

When the extend command is complete, you should receive a message that states that Diskpart successfully extended the volume. The new space should be added to the existing drive while maintaining the data on the volume.

In Windows XP and in Windows 2000, you cannot use Diskpart.exe to extend a simple volume on a Dynamic disk that was originally created on a Basic disk. You can extend only simple volumes that were created after the disk was upgraded to Dynamic disk.

If you try to extend a simple volume on a Dynamic disk that was originally created on a Basic disk, you receive the following error message "The volume you have selected may not be extended". This restriction was removed in Windows Server 2003.

Hope this can help you.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

JailBreak

Comment

Working...
                        X