X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up my own lab

Hi all,

I have just sourced a Fujitsu server to use for my ESXi studies

I have installed Ubuntu 10.10 64bit on it and have installed VMware Workstation inside this.

I have also found a iSCSI Virtual Appliance which I should be able to use for the shared storage but I'm not sure on the next bit.

I plan to use this server so I can practice vMotion, I know that you can't vMotion two ESXi servers on the same host but would this work within the VMware workstation setup?

Or would I need to have it setup like this...

PHYSICAL SERVER >> UBUNTU >> VM WORKSTATION >> ISCSI TARGET
    PHYSICAL SERVER >> UBUNTU >> VM WORKSTATION >> O/S >> VM WORKSTATION >>ESXI HOST
    PHYSICAL SERVER >> UBUNTU >> VM WORKSTATION >> O/S >> VM WORKSTATION >>ESXI HOST

Many thanks! I have a feeling I'm making things a lot more complicated than they need to be

Re: Setting up my own lab

You could have:

Physical server - Ubuntu - VM Workstation - iSCSI Target
    Physical server - Ubuntu - VM Workstation - ESXi01 host
    Physical server - Ubuntu - VM Workstation - ESXi02 host
    Physical server - Ubuntu - VM Workstation - vCenter Server

There are numerous articles that show how to run ESXI as a VM within VM workstation. You will need vCenter and a licenses version of ESX although the 60day eval should be fine.

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm View Post
      You could have:

Physical server - Ubuntu - VM Workstation - iSCSI Target
      Physical server - Ubuntu - VM Workstation - ESXi01 host
      Physical server - Ubuntu - VM Workstation - ESXi02 host
      Physical server - Ubuntu - VM Workstation - vCenter Server

There are numerous articles that show how to run ESXI as a VM within VM workstation. You will need vCenter and a licenses version of ESX although the 60day eval should be fine.

Michael
      Thanks Michael, would it still vMotion this way though? The ESXI installations would be sat on the same host (Workstation)...

Comment

The ESXi installations would be on two separate VMs, therefore separate hosts as far as they would be concerned.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yes - Gareth is correct.

The ESXI servers will be seperate installations. As long as you have vMotion configured and networking set up correctly then this will work. If can be quite confusing when setting up networking with two ESXi VM's connecting to another ESXi physical server but it's all part of the learning process. You will however have issues if you try using fault tolerance. You will also need a vCenter server for vMotion as well.

Good luck.
          Michael Armstrong
          www.m80arm.co.uk
          MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X