Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vSphere networking query

Hi,

In an environment with 4 ESXi hosts, each with 8 physical NICs, what would be a optimal configuration for the network? I am looking for just an overview on how many NICs for VM traffic, how many for vMotion and how many for the management network. Any for failover etc?

Thanks.

Re: vSphere networking query

Our setup is this

2 ESXi 4.1 hosts with 12 NICS.

2 NICS for management
    2 NICS for production
    4 NICS for vMotion
    4 NICS for iSCSI

Probably a bif of overkil for them but it works like a dream for us.

Comment

We use Dell M600 / M610 blades and have only 4 nics. We use:

2 NICS for Management and vMotion (Seperate VLANS)
      2 NICS for VM traffic (Seperate VLANS)

We use F/C for storage and this works fine for us.

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by gdf1903 View Post
        Hi,

In an environment with 4 ESXi hosts, each with 8 physical NICs, what would be a optimal configuration for the network? I am looking for just an overview on how many NICs for VM traffic, how many for vMotion and how many for the management network. Any for failover etc?

Thanks.
        My recommendation is to always have redundant physical NIC's for Service Console and vMotion. If you can have one NIC on different physical cards (i.e. NIC1 = Onboard & NIC2 = Addon Card). You can also setup the SC and vMotion to use other other NIC as the failover.

Then you can use 2-4 cards for Virtual Machine traffic but it all depends on your network throughput. You could setup an additional NIC as a failover, etc.

There is no need to use all 8 NIC's; unless you have a specific need.

Comment

Originally posted by dahvaio View Post
          My recommendation is to always have redundant physical NIC's for Service Console and vMotion. If you can have one NIC on different physical cards (i.e. NIC1 = Onboard & NIC2 = Addon Card). You can also setup the SC and vMotion to use other other NIC as the failover.

Then you can use 2-4 cards for Virtual Machine traffic but it all depends on your network throughput. You could setup an additional NIC as a failover, etc.

There is no need to use all 8 NIC's; unless you have a specific need.
          You do realise that ESXi doesn't have a service console.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            You do realise that ESXi doesn't have a service console.

Always forget the "i"....

Comment

Working...
            X