Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esx 4 to esxi 4.1 upgrade

Hi guys, general topic question here.
    I noticed vmware are moving away from esx ( with the console) and towards esxi agentless...
    I read the road path and upgrade guide and their plans for the future etc and it seems it's a pretty big shift, makes sense of course. However I feel like I only just mastered the esx console, and I've obviously spent a lot of time and money perfecting my companies virtual environment... The upgrade guide seems like a lot of work, my question to everyone I guess is, is anyone else moving over to esxi? Do you think it's worth it yet?

Re: Esx 4 to esxi 4.1 upgrade

My thinking is that the ESX platform will be retired soon and ESXi will be the product to go with.

If you don't need to upgrade i wouldn't until you really had to.

Comment

This sounds like the perfect time to start practicing to make it easier to move over when its good for you. Let other people post about their issues on the web, take their experiences and make yours better.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I would take VMware's advice and transition across to ESXi when you do your next round of updates, so say you are already on ESX 4.0 and you want to go to 4.1. You can then make the switch on your terms and get used to life with ESXi.

A lot of what you might be doing today in the ESX Service Console can be done using the vSphere CLI, many of the esxcfg- scripts have a vicfg- equivalent in the vSphere CLI, and you can always use ESXi's Tech Support Mode - which gives you a CLI directly on the host and access to additional commands/scripts too...

From the VMware customers I talk to, and I talk to many of them, most new deployments are now based on ESXi. Existing ESX deployments should definitely be transitioned across at some point, or they will have to be come the next vSphere version.

Scott.
        VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP 5 / VCAP-DCA4 / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012

Comment

Originally posted by joshsaunders View Post
          Hi guys, general topic question here.
          I noticed vmware are moving away from esx ( with the console) and towards esxi agentless...
          I read the road path and upgrade guide and their plans for the future etc and it seems it's a pretty big shift, makes sense of course. However I feel like I only just mastered the esx console, and I've obviously spent a lot of time and money perfecting my companies virtual environment... The upgrade guide seems like a lot of work, my question to everyone I guess is, is anyone else moving over to esxi? Do you think it's worth it yet?
          Truthfully, you could probably milk ESX for another 2-3 years with support and ride out the updates of the vSphere 4.x series, but you're avoiding the inevitable and integration with other products will increase in difficulty as time passes. Speak with your VMware rep on roadmap details for official dates and support stance.

My suggestion would be to start the planning to migrate to ESXi now while you still have some time. Complete your migration to ESXi before ESX support runs out. The migration to ESXi today and always has been flatten and rebuild. I'm unsure if VMware plans on creating a migration bundle to make the transition from ESX to ESXi easier but as of now I've not heard of that happening.
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
          boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
          My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I wouldn't be even thinking about upgrading at this point as the idea of retiring esx is still new. I would upgrade when everyone else has done so. Let vmware work out any issues and make fixes/patches before moving with upgrade, especially on large scale.

Comment

Originally posted by dotpro View Post
              I wouldn't be even thinking about upgrading at this point as the idea of retiring esx is still new. I would upgrade when everyone else has done so. Let vmware work out any issues and make fixes/patches before moving with upgrade, especially on large scale.
              The idea of retiring ESX is a few years old and I would surmize most organizations have already made the transition to ESXi. No issues to speak of. 600 ESXi hosts reporting in here.
              VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
              boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
              My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
              X